A Flame in the Dark

┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈
Blackkit remembered the night when the intruders had come. Cold moonlight, flickering down into his and his mother's small burrow —carved out of the rock at the far end of his family group's cave —, had gently transformed his little siblings' fluffy pelts to shades of soft, rippling silver.  The tiny kitten remembered his sister, Darkkit's, insightful amber eyes — like discs of deep, melting honey — meeting his in the relative darkness, and there being a moment of complete stillness and silence before the first yowls of anguish could be heard. They were the weakest members of the group, but they had known just moments before the chaos ensued that the peace that they had enjoyed for so long was nearing an end.
All good things go away, he had thought as Featherheart nudged him, Darkkit, and Shadowkit deeper into the tunnel, where shadows stirred and strange echoes from the innermost mountains could be heard from within the aging rocks. Screeches of rage and anger followed Blackkit and his small family group as they trudged slowly deeper into the hole, until complete blackness swallowed them and their whiskers prodded against solid rock.
"Hush now and lie still, little ones," Featherheart had purred affectionately, though her mew was hollow and her kittens could feel terror coming off of her in waves.
"Where are we? What's happened?" Shadowkit complained, having opened her mouth wide like a baby bird's. But Darkkit and Blackkit had wordlessly sat together, little pelts softly brushing. All good things go away.
—————