Chapter 6 - Drivemates

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Intervention:

Hello! This would be my third update, and I apologize to my readers if it took so long. Been so busy with school, buddies. Hope you understand. Enjoy, anyway, and I would want to hear from you as to what you think of this chapter. Maybe it's a little boring? haha. Vote and comment please if you liked it. I wasn't able to make my web program assignment because of this. haha.

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Drivemates

The sun was almost out of the horizon when Lyka, her head on my shoulder and her left hand locked on mine, groaned beside me.

"Why?" I asked, and gave her hand a tiny squeeze.

"I have a problem, Ember," She confided, but her voice was low as if humiliated.

I touched her cheek with my free hand. I still couldn't believe she love me. I felt like I'd just won the lottery. "What is it?"

"Uhm . . . " She hesitated for a while. "how am I suppose to take a bath?"

I chuckled under my breath. That's it? "Don't worry, you can do it here. We don't have a pet monster on our bathroom, really."

"But," then she looked at me. Her dazzling eyes - those blue and green eyes - never really fail to make my heart pound a little off-beat. "My clothes aren't here."

"I'll take it for you, then."

She buried her face on my shoulder again. "But Travis said it was dangerous for us to go outside alone."

I stroked her shiny auburn hair with my free hand. "What could be the danger on going into somewhere no more than five meters away, huh?"

"Those who hurt us."

"But maybe Travis meant we shouldn't go somewhere we're totally alone, like that alley, or in the forest."

"But . . . " She looked at the twilight sky again, the red-inked, pale-blue marvel, mesmerized as I was. We've been watching its beauty since after our second kiss. "I feel something bad about that, Ember."

I grinned. "Maybe you're just hungry."

She turned to meet my gaze again. Her face was hard. "I'm serious."

"So am I. I told you, I was going to get your clothes so give me the house key and tell me where to get what," I told her. "unless you'd want to go to school without taking a bath? Ew, Lyka."

She didn't find it funny. She didn't even respond.

"Actually," We froze at the word.

It wasn't me, it wasn't Lyka. It's wasn't my mom, either. "you both don't need to worry about that thing."

The voice came from the left side of the porch so Lyka and I instantly turned, alerted. I felt her hand tightened its grip on mine.

But it wasn't who we expected it to be. Not a danger. I slumped on my chair, relieved. But still, my heart was already frenzied.

It was Erika Shutterspike and Travis, holding hands while standing beside the table Lyka and I used hours before. Erika was smiling, her tan skin highlighted by the yellow shirt she's wearing. She's average built, maybe 5"5', with black curly hair that was like ocean waves flowing down to her back past her shoulder blades. She have eyes black as pitch, and those eyes seem to reflect the radiance of the still-hidden sun because of the way she's smiling. She seemed so happy, unlike her boyfriend who seemed very serious beside her, as if ready to spring at any moment needed.