Chapter Five

As the approach of the helicopter got louder and louder, the kids' hunger and pain was replaced with a satisfying happiness. Finally, their troubles were over. Finally, they would get back home, to their friends and family and lives. Finally, they were safe.

​"We're gonna go home Ally!" Sky exclaimed, jumping up and down with excitement. It was the first time since Chloe's death that Ally had seen Sky so happy. "We're gonna go home!"

​"Not if we stay here we won't," Chris reminded the group. This statement instantly caught their attention.

​"What'd you mean?" Jason asked, annoyed to have his joy ruined.

​"We're covered up by trees, they won't be able to see us through all that," Chris said as he pointed up to the tree canopy.

​"He's right," Stephan said with realization. "We gotta find a clearing, fast!" The kids looked around hurriedly, hoping to find a clearing nearby. Of course there was none, and quick panic arose throughout the group.

​"No, no!" Sky cried. "We gotta be found, we gotta!" She started off in a mad dash back the way they had come, back to the mountain.

​"Sky!" Ally shouted as she ran after her friend. The rest of the group followed after, leaving Joe behind. He tried to keep up with them, but not even the adrenaline he felt coursing through his veins was enough to accomplish the task. He fell behind and eventually sat down at the base of a tree to catch his breath. The suicidal thoughts from yesterday crept back into his mind, but he forced them out.

​They'll come back once they get the peoples' attention, Joe told himself, I'll just have to wait till then...

​"Sky, stop!" Chris shouted angrily as he raced to catch up with her, immensely upset. He was partially upset at the turmoil she was making, but also at the fact that he couldn't catch up with her.

​The nine kids were running frantically back to the mountain, but it was no use. They were too far from the mountain to reach it soon, and within moments they could hear the helicopter fly past them overhead. They were forced into a staggered run, their energy running out. Soon they had stopped running altogether.

​"No, no. It's not fair, it's not fair!" Sky cried in her hands, shaking her head miserably. Jackson was also crying, though he did so in silence. Panting with exhaustion, Stephan listened to the diminishing sound of the helicopter as it got farther and farther away. Soon it was gone. The realization that their one chance of getting rescued was gone, that they had missed their chance by leaving the plane crash, was unbearable. He bent down onto all fours and began to throw up food that he didn't have. He heard Lola make a disgusted sound, but ignored her.

​Several minutes went by before someone spoke.

​"What we do now?" Andy asked. The group looked at Stephan, who was still on the ground, shaking. With their leader down, they turned their attention to Chris.

​"We do what we have been doing," Chris said simply, "Go to the city."

​"Dude, we haven't eaten in like four days!" Trevell exclaimed. "We need to eat something if we're to keep going on like this!"

​"Hey guys! I think I've found something!" Andy suddenly exclaimed. He had walked a little away from the group after seeing Stephan throw up, and had by chance stumbled upon a plant with berries. The light green berries grew on a branch with a few purple flower buds. The berries were small and smooth, and Andy picked a few and held them in his hand. The rest of the group surrounded him and each took a turn looking at the berries.

​"Green fruit?" Jason asked as he poked one.

​"Berries!" Andy corrected. "They're small, but they might give us some energy." Andy picked the largest one in his palm and was about to drop it into his mouth when Stephan spoke up.