Her Boss's Baby - Chapter Thirteen

"Well, that's good news." Rain pushed to his feet, and reached down for Jane's hand, "We need to get her home." 

"There's more." Brian said, glancing between the two, "This is the part you aren't going to like." He waited until Rain sat before continuing. "What do you know about Devon Weston?" 

Startled, Jane glanced to the detective then back to Brian, "He's...my brother, Chase's, roommate and co-worker. Why?" 

"The day of the fire," Brian said, "you'll remember that Devon is the one who first told us the bomb under your car was a fake." 

"Right." Jane answered. 

"There's no way for him to know that." Brian said, "Unless he saw it." 

"What are you saying, Brian?" Rain demanded. 

"I'm saying, Devon knew the bomb was fake before anyone else did. I question that." 

"You think Devon has something to do with the stalker?" Jane asked. 

"I don't know." Brian shrugged a shoulder, "But I intend to find out. I tried to do a background check on him, but the name Devon Weston isn't in any data base that I can find. At least none that match his description." 

"He's faking his identity?" Jane asked. 

"I think so," Brian stood, "but I'm still looking into it." 

"No," Jane stood, "This has to be a mistake. There's no way in the world Devon could be faking anything. Chase and Nikki are both close to him, they would know." 

"Not if they aren't looking." Brian told her, "They have no reason to doubt him." 

"And neither do we." Jane moved to  the door. "I'm not going to be a part of this, and I'd like it if you could just leave this alone." 

"Jane, we can't do that." Rain said. "If Devon's not being honest with us, than we need to find out why." 

Jane threw up her hands, "Just don't let Chase or Nikki know what's going on. Not until, or if you get solid proof." 

"I can agree to that." Brian followed her through the restaurant to the SUV. One of his men had stayed with the vehicle and had the engine running with the air conditioner cranked up. While Rain helped Jane into the back seat, Brian let Max into the cargo space. 

"Home?" Rain asked as he closed the door and reached for her hand. 

She shrugged, "Yeah. I'm not tired anymore." 

"How about we do some shopping?" He lifted her fingers to his lips. "Find some stuff for the babies?" 

"Do you think it's safe?" Jane asked. 

"Brian," Rain said when the big man was behind the wheel. "We need to do some baby shopping." 

Brian grinned, "You got it. Any particular place?" 

"I'm sure there are a few exclusive boutiques in Scottsdale." Rain suggested. 

"No," Jane shook her head, "Just take us to the mall. I hate those Scottsdale places. The employees there are snobs."

Rain laughed, "With the amount of money in your bank account, babe, I'm sure people are going to be expecting you to be one of those snobs." 

"Well, I'm not. I want to go to the same department stores as all the other people in this city." 

"Alright," He pressed a kiss to her fingers again, "Whatever you want." 

*****

"All set," Rain found Jane surveying the crib display at the department store, "Brian is sending someone to pick up my truck. So we can get everything we need."