Thirty - Linkin

With the contact still in my eye as we walked down the stairs, I had nearly forgotten it was there. Four and Stuart were talking, the conversation was growing heated and the small wedding band that had been added to my finger just moments ago seemed a lot less important.

I turned to Fang and ran my fingers through his hair. "You know, I forgot I was going to give you a haircut. Why don't you and I head upstairs, I'll cut your hair, we'll play some games and have a quiet night?"

Fang glanced around then back up at me. "Can I have ice cream?"

I paused before laughing. "Head on upstairs. I'll get you a bowl." He grinned and sprinted back up the stairs and I shrugged at Thierry. "You can stay if you'd like. I'm not in the mood to celebrate."

Thierry smiled. "I'll come check up on you later," he said glancing to a gleeful Yulian with a smile, but paused and placed a kiss on my cheek. "My wife," he added in quickly before running off to catch up with his no longer needed best man.

I was scooping up a small dish of rocky road for Fang as Ira strolled over. "Hey," she said nonchalantly.

"If you want something, you don't have to pretend to be friendly," I told her as I looked up only for a second, then back to what I was doing.

She paused and nodded. "Right, sorry. I just wanted to know if that contact thing worked?"

My head bobbed, but I didn't bother to speak.

"And you're really thinking about going to Russia?"

"I am."

"Why?"

There was a long pause between us. I let the spoon rest in the carton and I let out a sharp exhale. "You decided how many years ago to leave Stuart and I in Mexico to go off and hunt down the Oasis Project. Now that we're getting close to the end, now that you've dragged us back into it, you're asking why I'm willing to risk so much for it to finally end? Really, Ira. I thought you were smart."

She stared at me, mouth slightly ajar, before it clenched. "That was different."

I certainly didn't feel the same way. "A lot has changed since then, I have a lot to lose in the Oasis Project ever finds us, so yes, I'm willing to take the fight to them even if it means I'll stroll up and they simply put a bullet in my brain." A fire burned inside me, but I was getting tired of constantly arguing with everyone about a decision that should be mine. "Now if you'll excuse me, Fang is waiting for me."

󠁌♟♙♟♙

Rustling the papers that sat in front of me. I kept my gaze up as I slowly put the contact back in after taking it out to go to sleep. Not that I could sleep. I knew this speech off by heart and I let out a slow breath as I sat in front of a camcorder and turned the contact lens on.

There was a brief moment of uncertainty if I could really do this, but as my hands clenched into fists, I knew I had no other choice. I looked forward and said my piece, hoping all of it would be recorded for whomever found it first in the morning. With a bag over my shoulder, I placed a card on the keyboard in my office, left the door open, headed downstairs, and eventually outside to the shed.

Since I had interrogated Nita and Celestia in the kitchen, I hadn't seen them. I carefully opened the lock on the shed and pushed the door open with a squeak. With their hands chained, they rested uncomfortably in chairs, facing each other. Celestia's head rested against the wall as she gasped for air, struggling to sleep. Nita was almost instantly awake with the creak of the door, her eyes locked on mine. "What do you want? You already know everything."

I nodded, walking in and reaching into my pocket. "That I do, which is why you're not going to try anything funny."

In the glint of the moonlight, the key to the handcuffs caught Nita's eyes. "What are you going to do to me?" There was a hint of panic in her voice.

"I'm getting you out of here." I paused for a moment before kneeling beside her. "You and I are getting on a plane and going to Russia. From there, you're going to bring me in, say Celestia is dead, and if all works out, neither of us will die."

The blonde was still as I slowly undid her wrists. I stood back up as she rubbed them hesitantly. "You want me to bring you into Russia? Why?"

"I don't need to explain myself to you. You say you've changed; it's time to prove it. Come with me, risk your life for the Deviations, or I'll kill you where you stand now."

It was like Nita actually considered the option, but finally rose. "Well, I hope you have a good plan or something much worse than death will be waiting for the both of us."