Weekends; A Three-Part Mini-Opera - Whizzvin & Jason

(Whizzer's POV)

Part One

It was a Thursday night in 2016 and I was sipping my tea, sitting on the couch, trying to find a good show to watch; I was able to lounge around because it was Marvin's night to make dinner. Thus, I wasn't paying any particular attention to the time, so I was a bit startled when I heard the door slam shut.

In walked Marvin, disgruntled and upset. He grumbled something and then sat down on the other end of the couch, rubbing his hands on his face.

I put down my tea and scooted over to him, saying softly, "What's up, Marv?"

He groaned, now only resting his face in his hands. I rolled my eyes, grabbing them to reveal his face.

"I can't help you if I don't know what's wrong," I told him when he turned his head towards me. He hummed in annoyance and ran a hand through his hair, now fully turned towards me but his eyes downcast.

"It's just—" he paused and it seemed as though he was thinking hard about something.

"Work?" I asked him matter-of-factly.

"Yeah, basically," he sighed, then continued, "There's this new project our boss wants us to work on and apparently it's going to take a lot of 'diligence' and 'commitment'," he made air quotes.

Going on, he said, "And it's not that I'm complaining about, it's just—the time he's making us put in for it is unfair. I have a son I need to be there for and he's—he's making us work the weekends starting next week!" he suddenly grew louder, "I mean seriously, weekends?! He knows I have a son!"

I nodded, understanding what was going on, "Well, did you tell him that you see Jason only on the weekends?"

He shot me a glare that seemed to ask, 'Are you stupid?', and snapped, "Yes, I told him I see Jason only on the weekends!"

I flinched back slightly and he noticed, cowering back; I wanted to roll my eyes at myself at that moment, but Marvin started talking again.

"Sorry, sorry, I didn't mean to snap at you. You didn't do anything wrong."

"You got that right," I said to him.

"I'm sorry," he mumbled again, then went on, "It's so stressful, though. I'll only be able to see Jason at night. Won't he be sleeping? When will we ever get to talk?"

I felt my eyelids droop with empathy, forgetting about the sudden outburst earlier. I lifted his chin so he would look me in the eyes.

"You'll still get to see him, Marv, just a little less. And you can always call him whenever you want. Jason will be fine, I promise. And so will you."

I wiped a tear that slipped out of his eye while he gave a deep breath, then faced forward on the couch again, slouching back with his head upturned so he was looking at the ceiling. There was a silence as I tried to think of what to say next, but it didn't last long before I was talking again.

"Tell you what," I said, facing forward as well and scooting closer, "When Jason comes tomorrow, sit down with him and talk to him about this. Then, why don't we just have a big blowout weekend? We can take him to the movies, a museum, make cupcakes, play video games, yknow, just have fun the whole weekend while we have it."

He smirked, turning his head towards mine, "This isn't just a ploy to get me to make you cupcakes, right?"

I snickered, "It might be."

He laughed, but then was serious again, "I'll do that. Thanks for the advice, love."

"Of course," I told him calmly, pushing his hair back and pecking his lips. He smiled so sweetly, so happily, that I almost melted. How could I love this man so much?