Chapter 1

♥️An unexpected arrival♠️

The sound of a pen scratching against paper filled the silence in the study while the mute crackling of the hearth washed the cold room with warmth. The aged man who sat behind the varnished oak desk, that was as old as him, gave a couple of coughs now and then, his dark almond brown eyes scanning the documents with practiced ease before scrawling his cursive signature on the documents he approved of. Those that didn't gain his approval were left to the side for further revision.

This went on until a knock, a quick rap on the equally varnished door of the study, broke the reigning quietude within the room.

The aged man continued his reading as if undisturbed and called out with an authoritative tone. "Come in,"

The door opened revealing an semi-immaculate laid back steward, his dark hair complementing his vibrant green eyes giving the man an enigmatic air about him. He wheeled in a trolley of assorted refreshments to the side of the desk and began pouring the fragrant tea into a China cup as he began small talk. "I had the pâtissier create complementary refreshments to accompany the newly imported tea, collected from the Ravenwood flowers just beyond DresVan."

He elegantly placed the China teacup onto the desk with a quiet clink. The aged man finally put down his pen with a subtle sigh as he reached over to take hold of the saucer holding the teacup and bring the cup towards his mouth, only to pause when the fragrant smell wafted to his nose. He closed his eyes and took a sip letting the hot liquid to wash over his tastebuds with a nostalgic taste. "It tastes just like it used to,"

"Indeed," The steward replied, picking out a couple of sweets and placing them down onto the desk in front of the other like had done with the tea earlier. "the Ravenwood flowers were originally created and planted by the fifth generation of the Duke House of Ravensons, it has become a native flower in its Kingdom since then."

The aged man took another sip of the tea before placing it back down onto his desk. He picked up the pastry fork and cut into the creamy mousse cake, his eyes wandered over to the date written on one of his documents. "It's another year since the fall of the Ravensons."

"A tragic loss for an outstanding family such as theirs," The steward agreed.

The quietude returned, only for a brief moment until a frantic maid entered the study. "Master Zain! Theo has found two unconscious children on the premises, he requests your aid!"

The steward, Zain, gave a bow towards the older man. "I am afraid I am being called elsewhere, I'll have someone come and clean once you are done, My Lord."

"Oho ho ho," The older man chortled running a hand through his grey beard as his previous expression became one of amusement and curiosity, far more befitting than one filled with sorrow and reminisce. "that is alright, Zain. Be sure to take care of the children."

"As you wish," Zain straightened and headed out of the study with the maid filling him in.

"Theo's brought in the children to one of the guest rooms, the one with a larger bed." She explained hastily. "They haven't woken since they were found in the back garden where His Lord Michel likes to take a stroll!"

By the time she had explained everything concerning the circumstances of the unknown children, they had arrived at the designated room. Zain turned towards the maid and gave her orders. "Thank you for leading me here, I want you to attend to Lord Michel while I am occupied with this matter. I trust that you can accomplish the task?"

The maid immediately straightened after giving a hasty curtsy. "Yes, Master Zain!"

Zain watched her scurry off, preparing himself for the matter at hand. He opened the door and was immediately greeted with the lone steward-in-training busying himself with changing wet towels on each child. It certainly was a sight to behold... Zain shook his head and cleared his throat. "Theo,"

The younger man looked up, his reddish brown hair falling into his surprised brown eyes, and immediately straightened his posture. "Master Zain,"

Zain gave an approving nod as he made his way over. "I've been informed of the unexpected guests, how are they?"

"Well as you can see," Theo gestured towards the feverish children. "they both haven't woken and have had an insanely high fever."

Looking down at the two, a young female and male coloured with a flushed red worthy of any blushes' envy, Zain could see a resemblance... Though of whom remained a fleeting thought. The children weren't of an age where they would require constant care, but were more appropriately considered to be young adults. Possibly the age of His Highness', the Prince of Oriens. Zain questioned the younger steward, putting the information he had attained in the back of his mind. "Why have you not placed them in separate rooms? You are aware that this room is a highly used guest room for the higher Nobles, are you not?"

A flash of irritation crossed Theo's face, but he held his sharp tongue in. He replied with a curt manner. "When I found these two they were difficult to separate so I had thought it best to keep them in the same room until they had awakened."

Zain gave a nod towards his quick thinking. "I'll assign you to attend to them, so be on your best behaviour."

"Yes, Master Zain," Theo answered in kind.

Zain allowed a small quirk of his lips to betray his amusement and fondness of the younger male despite the frustration he had to go though with him. "On that note, Theo, you realize that you don't have to be the one breaking their fevers?"

Theo went rigid stuttering out a reply. "F-Force of habit, sir,"

"Never you mind," Zain dismissed the thought with a nod. "take this as you would training."

He then turned to leave, but not before giving a last minute command. "When they wake, I would like you to have me informed."

"Yes sir," Theo gave a rigorous nod.

"Good, I await the news." With that Zain left the room, shutting the door behind him with a terse click.

Theo visibly relaxed, letting out a sigh. He glanced down at the damp towel in his hand, that was no longer cold, and back towards the feverish children. A moment passed until Theo regained his bearing and continued to treat them with great care.