Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

Yesterday was a whirlwind of activity and to be honest, I blush to remember the way I lost my virginity to Braeden in the bed of his truck with nothing but a picnic blanket covering us, the dense forest all around us and the stars overhead. And yet I couldn’t be happier. Sure we were a little drunk off of the Damson Plum wine that Braeden bought to make the declaration of his love more special, but the moment wasn’t anything less than perfect.

Especially now that I’m officially Braeden’s girl and I even sport the promise ring to prove it.

The ring is a stunning black band with a small princess cut diamond embedded into the metal. It’s gorgeous and so us.

And over breakfast this morning in the ice-cream parlour that Braeden first took me to, I can’t help but flamboyantly wave my left hand in the air every now and then to see how long it takes for our friends to notice.

I’m right in the middle of readjusting my hand around my sundae glass when Kami’s mouth pops open and she stares at my ring finger. “Oh holy mother of god!” She declares, reaching across the table and snatching my hand with me attached towards her. “What is this on your hand, Keira? This better not be what I think it is!”

Besides her Jennifer only just seems to notice and she too gasps whilst clawing for my hand. “It better be what I think it is! Oh Braeden, it’s beautiful.” She coos whilst admiring the ring on my finger and curling into Adam’s chest. “They’re engaged!” She suddenly screams to the whole of the parlour and the other diners seated around us start to whoop and holler as I flush in embarrassment and snatch my hand back.

“You didn’t even ask our permission!” Jack frowns at Braeden before giving him a thump to the arm whilst all of the other boys bundle on him and start giving him nuggies.

“Aw, our bro’s settling down. You’re gonna have yourself a missus, Braeden!”

Before the whole charade can get too out of hand, I scowl up at a grinning Braeden and bang my fisted hand down on the table. “Guys, it’s not like that. It’s just a promise ring!”

That declaration receives a collective ‘oh’ of disappointment amongst our friends and across the table from us Jennifer and Kami put on similar pouts whilst Ethan and Reggie give Braeden punches to the arm. “Dude you’re so whipped!”

“Who gives promise rings anymore?” Adam murmurs, looking at Braeden in confusion, and as I turn away to placate Jenny and Kami, I’m pretty sure I see Adam mouth to Braeden ‘what happened dude’? To which Braeden shrugs before giving him a pointed look and getting into another conversation.

Hmmm… I’ll have to weasel that secret out of him before the curiosity eats me alive.

“So, what did you lovebirds do last night after you disappeared? It must have been pretty intense if you come back with that bling on your finger!”

I blush under the scrutiny of Brit’s question and wrap myself up under Braeden’s arm as he gives a smug grin.

I’m pretty sure my face is a telling enough answer as suddenly once again Braeden is on the receiving end of a load of fist bumps and high fives. “You go man!”

Jennifer’s mouth pops open for the second time this morning. “You did not! Ugh, you’re my blushing virgin best friend no more; spill it all!”

Not wanting to share any of the intimate details of our night together, I stick my hands over my ears and start humming really loudly. As all their voices burst with questions, I’m happy when Braeden puts an end to their noise. “Guys, what happens in the forest stays in the forest.”