S1E01

May 12th – Year 03 A

              May 12th – Year 03 A.Z.

                  Upstate New York

"Do you see that?" Bailey asked from where she was crouched in the mud. Garnett was standing beside her and brought his binoculars to his face.

"Yeah. . . " he said suspiciously bringing the binoculars down and taking out his radio. "This is Garnett to Warren. Garnett to Warren, over."

"Go for Warren. What's up Charlie?"

"We're at the water's edge, could use a little backup."

"Two minutes." Warren's voice replied as Bailey pulled her light brown hair back into a high ponytail, the shorter strands of her still-growing-out bangs falling in her face before she tucked them behind her ear. Still crouched down she pulled her knife from its sheath on her left hip and began playing with it nervously twisting it in her hand letting the sharp tip rest on her finger.

"I say she's here in a minute and a half." She said with a slight smirk as she looked up at Garnett who was looking down at her with a smile."I'll take that bet."

"I'll take that bet."

A minute and a half later Lieutenant Roberta Warren showed up at their post. "What is it?" she asked looking out at the figure in the water. It looked like a boat with two men but three years in the apocalypse taught Bailey that things were not always what they seemed.

"I guess a distress signal." Garnett replied.

"How do you two want to handle it?" Warren asked looking between Garnett and Bailey.

"We've been watching them for a while, as far as I can tell it's just two males. Let's see what they want. Can always turn them back around." Garnett said taking out his flashlight and began signaling the boat.

"How did Nana's eighth go?" Garnett asked as they watched the boat paddle to shore.

"Very good. Good people." Warren said putting her hands on her hips.

"Thanks for doing it, I just – uh – can't anymore. Too many." Garnett said a bit shakily.

"It's okay, she was ready to go." Warren replied with a deep sigh. It was always hard losing people, even when they were ready.

"Aren't we all?" Bailey said shifting her weight so her boots wouldn't get stuck in the mud.

"Here they come." Warren said.

"Alright I'll handle the meet and greet. You cover from here." Garnett told them. 

"Any problems you hit the ground. I'll take care of the rest." Warren said drawing her gun and turning to Bailey. "Hawthorne, you go around and cover the right flank so if this goes south you can circle around and take them out from behind."