Chapter 18

Talia's POV

First day of school: Part 2

        When I walk over to the bleachers I instantly see Cara; I rush over to her. "Cara!" I call. As soon as she sees me she jumps out of her seat and gives me a big hug. "Talia! I was hoping we would have some classes together. Sucks that we have gym 1st period though." I laugh and nod in agreement. "Everybody quiet down and take a seat." Someone calls. Cara and I turn and see that the teacher has walked in; we quickly sit down. "That's Ms Pearce. We're lucky that we have her, she's so much nicer than the other gym teachers." I sigh with relief. "Oh good. The gym teacher I had last year used to be a Marine. He worked us to death." Cara laughs and then we go back to paying attention to the teacher. "Anyway, the first thing you will be doing is creating a dance to perform for the class. Since we still have 30 minutes left, I'd like you to split into groups and start to come up with ideas. The other gym teachers are going to judge you guys and the dance they like the best will be performed at our upcoming pep rally." The class starts to spilt up. Cara turns to me. "We're obviously going to work together but we need to find more people." She gets up and climbs down the bleachers; I follow her.

        Cara and I are walking towards a group of girls when Ms Pearce approaches us, with Kendall trailing behind. "Hey girls! Do you mind if Kendall joins your group?" She asks, smiling. Kendall and I glare at each other, but Cara is oblivious as she says "Sure, we'd love that!" Ms Pearce beams at us. "Great! I'm sure you girls will come up with a great dance." Then she walks away. "So..." Cara speaks up. "What song do you guys want to use?" "I don't care." Kendall and I say simultaneously, still glaring at each other. Cara sighs. "Fine, I'll go get my phone so we can Google songs. Be right back." She walks off towards the bleachers. I sigh. "Look Kendall, I know we aren't friends, but I know that we both love to win. So, if we put our differences aside, I think we could beat everyone else." Kendall rolls her eyes. "Fine, only because I want us to win." 

        When Cara comes over we decide on the song Trumpets by Jason Derulo. We get straight to work and by the time the bell rings, we have basically come up with our whole dance. As we're walking out of the gym, I turn to Cara. "Hey, why aren't there any guys in our gym class?" I ask. Cara laughs. "I don't know. Something about distractions." 

        The next 3 periods go by without any problems and next thing I know, I'm walking into the cafeteria with Emmit. "Talia, Emmit!" I hear someone call. I look around the cafeteria and see Lawrence and Bradley waving at us. We walk over to their table. "Hey guys, you should sit with us." Lawrence says, gesturing to the rest of their friends. I look at Emmit and he shrugs. "Sure, why not?" I sit across from Emmit, sandwiched between Lawrence and Bradley. Emmit sits in between Damon and Seb. Emmit talks to them and Lawrence turns to me. "Hey, let me see your schedule." I dig it out of my bag and hand it to him. Lawrence nods as he reads it. He hands it back to me as he says, "we have physics and English together." I smile at him. "Good, at least I'll know one person."

        At the end of the day I meet Emmit in front of his car. "So how was your first day?" He asks once we get in the car. " "It was pretty good, better than I imagined." Emmit nods. "Yeah, same." When he pulls out of the parking lot I grab my phone from my bag and said a quick text to my cousin Kristy. One day down, a million to go. A minute later she responds. Shut up, you'll be fine. Call me soon.

        We pull into Emmit's driveway, I get out of the car, and grab my stuff. I walk over to Emmit and peck him on the lips. "Well, I'll see you tomorrow." I start to walk away, but Emmit grabs my arm. "Wait! Do you mind if I come over?" I shake my head. "No, not at all. Come on." When we walk into my house, we drop our stuff by the door and Emmit sits down on one of the couches, closing eyes. I walk over and sit next to him, intertwining my fingers with his. "How are things at home?" Emmit sighs, keeping his eyes closed. "I don't know, I guess it's a little better. My parents are talking again." "Well, remember that if you ever need to talk, I'm here for you." Emmit opens his eyes and pulls me into his lap; he kisses the top of my head. "I know you are." He says, but it comes out as a whisper. Emmit clears his throat and tries again. "I know."

***Hey guys! As promised, I posted yesterday and today. There is a video linked to the side. It's the dance that Kendall, Cara, and Talia will perform. It's basically the same dancer peformed multiple times by different people. If you want to see it done with just the 3 people, skip to 2:36.