1. God Was Never On Your Side

"All my speculations and hopes are as nothing, and like the archangel who aspired to omnipotence, I am chained in an eternal hell." - Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

***

I never got what I wanted. Not since The War, not since Phil, and not since The Procedure. 

But then again, when did anyone but the big men on top of capitol hill get what they wanted in war?

I remember reading a book once, though it was such a long time since they were all burned to be used as warmth. There was a boy in it and he wanted to change the world, but no matter how hard he tried he kept failing. Sometimes I feel like that boy, but sometimes I feel like the people purposely making him fail.

I was a failed soldier, a man pushed aside once found out to be no other than the monsters we fought at daybreak. I had joined the Royal Army like everyone else when my number came up. And I had lasted until Judgment Day, where I as a young Lieutenant barely escaped with my life and pack of cigs. Disgraced and almost captured into slavery, it was a familiar face that pulled me from the dirty rubble haphazardly thrown across the city block.

"I can help. It will hurt, but you will live. Do you trust me?"

I looked into the archangel's eyes and nodded curtly, almost invisible. But he saw it. PJ saw it.

"Thank God-" I was cut off, however, and I thought he was to disapprove of me using his Father's name in vain.

But instead he said, "God was never on your side, nor mine. He was never even here at all."

War is hell. It changes people. It changes everyone. Even those who aren't human.

***

First chapter, hope y'all like!