2. HIGH

Assembly of Gods Around Jupiter's Throne, Romano, 1532
_________________________

     Josiah opened his eyes to find himself in the worst of his 'morning after' scenarios yet. Beside him lay a stark naked Charlie, and on his floor were remnants of last night's cannabis spilled out of its bag and scattered across the hardwood floor of his room. His head throbbed violently, trying to recall events of the previous day. Once he did, he immediately regret it because he remembered why he put himself into this situation in the first place.

"Listen to me Josiah. Do you know how long it took us to get on good terms with a family of that status? Your father and I finally had dinner with her and her parents after several months of planning. She's stunning and quite the bookworm. I'm sure she's your type. If she was a student at your academy, I bet she'd be neck and neck with you for the top spot in grades. She's absolutely perfect for you."

Yeah, she'd be perfect if she went here, Josiah thought to himself, because attending this academy would mean she was a he, and maybe then he would spare an ounce of thought for his mother's meddlesome plans.

I want you to meet her soon. When are you next available? I'm telling you, she's the one.

God, he really needed his parents to get off his back.

His thoughts were suddenly interrupted by the sound of softly rustling sheets beside him. He turned his head to see Charlie finally waking up. The smaller boy had no shame, lying on top of his bedsheets without any undergarments, allowing the palest parts of his body to be illuminated by sun peeking through his half open shutters. Milky skin reflected light into his eyes like snow, blinding him beyond extent.

"Josiah! You're already awake. It's so early."

"Indeed I am. But you shouldn't be here right now to see that."

"I know...I should've left...but," Charlie
sighed, deeply distraught, "...but I really miss sleeping next to you, that's all. Is there something wrong with that?"

"Considering the school we attend, yes, of course there is. And considering the circumstances of our relationship, there's no need for extra acts of intimacy beyond our usual activities. Sleeping in the same bed is simply unnecessary."

The best word to describe Charlie and Josiah's relationship without undermining its existence would be 'unconventional'. It developed early last year during a peculiar discussion about the social stigma of homosexual relationships. Why they were talking about this in the first place he didn't know, but he did know that for an odd reason it made the tension between them as thick as butter, and through means they realized they both enjoyed they managed to ease it. The two prefects were certainly not romantically involved, but Josiah sometimes felt that Charlie thought too deeply about the significance of his words and actions.

"Your heart is as cold as ice!" Charlie cried dramatically, placing his hand over his heart as if to clench it. "To you I'm just a warm body you use to thaw it. Oh my! I'm a human microwave."

Josiah tried to hold back a chuckle, but a smile crept onto his face and before he knew it he was accepting defeat and burst into a fit of charming laughter. "Okay, I'll reluctantly admit that was clever. Now get out."

"Fine," he said as he sulked to the door. For the most part, Charlie had dressed himself, and Josiah could feel a bit more content with his life knowing this.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ✦ *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

     It was around noon when Josiah started feeling anxious in the middle of class. He remembered that yesterday he told his mother he'd meet with his perfect girl this afternoon, but he loathed his future plans. His only solution was to relax through his own methods, so he told his professor that he needed to use the restroom before proceeding to find somewhere discreet to deal with his personal grievances.