Chapter 4 - Mercy

Winter's POV

The world around me seemed to stop, and for a few precious moments I was free. In a field, by myself, with no worries and a clear conscious.

Then I heard Markus growl. The whole ground seemed to shake and I new I was screwed. I would die a slow and painful death and I would never see my family again. I raised my head to see the look of shock on the faces of the Silver Dawn pack.

"NO!" Markus's voice cut off my thoughts. "You stupid bitch! fight him!"

I had never seen Markus so angry. His whole face began to turn a bright shade of red as his shaking hands curled into fists

I stood up and stared at him, not backing down.

Never again.

I looked over at the wolf I was fighting to see him staring at me bewildered as deep read blood stained his white coat. I turned back to Markus who was storming over to me.

I felt my body cower but stopped immediately. I will never submit to this monster again.

He used his hand to grip my throat and raise me off the ground. He had done this before but only in my human form. No one should be strong enough to lift almost fully grown panther off the ground with one hand. I struggled in his grip attempting to claw and his hand but he only tightened the grip making stars appear in my vision. I felt my consciousness slipping away until I heard someone shout. Markus released me and I collapsed onto the ground sucking in as much air as possible into my burning lungs.

"Remember your side of the deal Markus." I heard Zayn say menacingly.

Markus groaned and gave me a rough kick in the ribs before leaving me squirming on the earth. I groaned and curled myself into a ball to defend more attacks.

"Fine." he said through gritted teeth walking away from me. "Pick someone then go back to your hole." Markus stepped back and the other alpha scanned his eyes over the nervous group of wolves.

All of them had their eyes on the ground to minimise attention. I was not well educated on werewolf customs and culture, but any idiot could guess that the life in a pack that isn't your own would be rough.

Finally the alphas gaze met mine. I did not look down like the rest. I met his stare and challenged it. His look left as quickly as it came.

"We'll take the Panther." He said to Markus.

It was now my turn to be shocked.

Why the hell would he want me? What is he going to do to me?

Markus let out a deep growl and Zayn matched it with his own. The two faced off for a few moments but Markus new he had lost.

He cackled loudly. "Take the cat, it would have been dead within a week anyway," He smirked as he turned to stare at me.

I swallowed, attempting to remove the lump in my throat to no avail.

"Then it shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience for you then." Zayn's voice held no humour in Markus' remark.

"Of course not. Alpha Zayn, it was a pleasure as always." The sarcasm dripped out of Markus's mouth.

Zayn said nothing. He walked up to me and studied me. I was still lying down, I raised my head as his eyes scanned me making me feel vulnerable.

"Can you stand?" He asked me. His words were not harsh nor pitiful, just a question. 

I could not answer him in my form, but I shifted my weight so I was in a sitting position. slowly I rose so I was standing facing him with my back towards the Red River pack and their alpha. Zayn gave a small nod and he begun to walk back to his pack.