p a r t 4 : g e t b a c k u p

When she arrived at the Barton's, she immediately barge in through the door. The house was eerily quiet, only the sound of television chatter and soft buzzing of the washing machine was caught by Wanda's ear. But as she walked further into the house, she can hear humming. No, soft mumbling of a person. She ran to the source of the humming sound, only to find laura sitting in front of the bathroom door, humming to herself, and to the other person who certainly is listening to the humming.

" Laura...." She softly made herself present. The older woman looked up at her figure, exhaustion and hollowness filled her eyes. Wanda just crouched down next to her and Brought her hand up to remove the sticky hair from Laura's forehead. Laura just smile contently and unconsciously leaned into Wanda's palm.
" Laura why don't you go to bed? Rest for a while yeah? I'll make sure clint is okay. If that's alright with you?" Wanda asked silently, after seeing how exhausted the older woman is.
Laura just nodded, clearly wasn't listening to what wanda said because she's struggling to keep her eyes open. Wanda sighed and help the woman to her bed then she tuck her in.

After she's done with Laura, she went back to the bathroom door. Her eyes began to water, the thought of Clint actually had an episode terrifies her. She wasn't here to help him. She sobs silently and knock softly on the door.
" C-clint? It's wanda " she said. She slid down the wall beside the door. Contemplating whether to open the door by her powers or not. Because she felt like she's invading his personal space if she does, but she felt hopeless because the guy just don't want to open this damn door.

Suddenly there was a series of knock from inside the walls, clint. She was confused, why didn't he just talk?

Unless his hearing aid has ran out of batteries.

Of course!

She never knew anything about the knocking means, so she just reached out to his mind and tap him there.

Clint?

Wanda? What are you doing here?

Can you open the door? Laura was worried. She called me here. Are you okay?

I missed her

The air on Wanda's lungs got knocked out. Her . She was choking back a sob.

I missed her too

I don't want Laura to get worried.

Too late.

Please don't cry

I'm trying not to. Please open the door.

After she said that, an audible click was heard and the bathroom door creaked open. Revealing a very distraught looking Clint. His thoughts are so loud, even without trying to read his mind, she knew what's on his mind.
Some words really struck the girl hard so she was left choking for air, pushing back a sob. The sight of the girl so stressed out—even more so than him— makes the guy kneeled down in front of her. Without exchanging any words Wanda has welcomed herself into his arms.
She wailed, sobbing uncontrollably in his arms. He too, was crying with her. He's blaming himself, God he just want his sister back.

Their cries must've have woken up Laura because they felt someone wrapped their arms around them and right there, wanda felt home. Sure, she was still mourning. She was still not over the death of someone that she can call a mother to her. But she found her home here.

" We're going to be better. I promise we're going to be better. Not now, sure. But as time went on, we will be better. We'll be there for each other every step of the way. None of you are going to be alone in this. We're going to be okay. I love you both, so much " laura whispered in their ears. Then Laura held Wanda's face in her hands " we're going to be okay, okay? You have to believe that. We're going to be better. I promise you, kid. Okay?" Wanda couldn't stop her tears but she nodded hee head at the woman and threw her arms around Laura's waist. Laura just smile warmly and welcomed the girl home.