Secrets and Lies

Previously...

"Oi Tom." It was Arthur.

"What?" Tommy shouted still staring protectively into my eyes.

"That geezer from last night is in the pub, he wants to talk to us."

Not for the first time today I felt as if my heart had left my chest.

"Yeah I'll be right down."

Tommy's voice sounded as if he was speaking from under water as worry clouded my mind. My world have once again gone all topsie turvie and once again I had no control.

.......................

Panic flooded my system and I lurched forwards towards the door.

"Should I come with you?" I said, most definitely too quickly.

Tommy looked at my strangely. "No Tess, you stay here with Polly and rest." He leant down to kiss my forehead.

"I think I should come too." Panic was leaking into my voice. "He did save my life after all. I would like to thank him."

I knew this last comment would anger him.

"No." He pushed past me and opened the door before I could say another word.

I had to remain calm. I knew that Luca wasn't stupid enough to say anything...but I also knew that he was possessive and angry. Would he say something to Tommy about me? Something a 'stranger' wouldn't know?

I sat on my bed and placed my head in my hands...would there have been a possibility that I could have met Luca at some point? Not before in our own time, but here in 1920? All I really knew was I had been in Small Heath for most of my life...but what if that wasn't the case?

I rose from the bed quickly and set about getting ready. I knew that the boys wouldn't be back for a while, so I was going to ask Polly some more questions about my 'past'.

"Morning love, how are you feeling?"

"I'm alright Pol. Have the boys left?"

"Yes...and I'm under strict instructions not to let you follow them. But as I told Tommy, you are a grown woman and can do what the fuck you like." She laughed over her cigarette.

"They are going to talk to the man who saved me last night..." I almost whispered.

"Yeah, as far as I know. They are suspicious of what happened yesterday John seems to think it seemed planned."

"Hm..." I replied.

"Something on your mind love?" Polly was staring at me now...she could read me like a book.

At first, I didn't know what to say, didn't know how to begin. But it turned out I didn't need to think about what I was going to say, my mouth had a mind of its own...

I looked up at her. "I think...I think I know him from somewhere."

Polly looked up at me with a confused expression. "Who?"

"That man from the pub, Luca. I can't remember how or where, but he seems to know me." More lies...

Polly looked at me, that stern motherly look overtook her features. "How do you think you know him?"

"I don't know, I just have a feeling. I just need to ask, have I ever left Small Heath?"

Polly sighed and looked down. "Tess...I know that your memories haven't returned in the way we hoped, but I'm not one for digging up the past."