P.S. I've Always Loved You -Chapter 1

(Disclaimer: Any and all medical terminology is solely from research

(Disclaimer: Any and all medical terminology is solely from research. I am not a licensed medical professional, do not take what is written as literal!)

You wake up to the incessant buzzing of your alarm. You pry one open to check the time and see that the clock read 5:30 a.m. You hated mornings because it took your forever to actually become a functioning human being, but being a doctor for a few years made it more bearable as you always looked forward to the work.

You pull the covers off your body, swinging your legs over the edge you make your way to the bathroom. You do the usual routine of showering, brushing your teeth and touching up the dark circles under your eyes. You make weird faces at yourself in the mirror and decided it was good enough. You enter the kitchen to make a cup of coffee for now and one for the road, breathing in the aroma of freshly roasted coffee. When you were still in your residency, you used to go get coffee with Tom in the morning because he was filming locally and had to be up early too. So you both made it a habit to have coffee together, but that ended once you finished your residency and he went off to find other films.

You finish up your breakfast, grabbing your bag, keys and coffee. The car ride to the hospital, you liked to run through all your cases and what you would be doing today and plan for the work and studying you would do afterwards. A good habit you needed to make while in school because you probably wouldn't have been as successful without it. You just wished some of that would have rubbed off on Tom. Sure he was organized in his own way, but as kids, you would sometimes have dinner at his house and hear his mum get after him for his dirty room and always missing school assignments because he didn't keep them organized.

He was a lot better with that now. He needed to be now that he was getting noticed more, he needed to know the in's and out's of each part he was going for. But every now and then you teased him about being messy and it always brought you both smiles.

—-

You arrive at the hospital, greeting the familiar staff. Entering your office, you go over all the notes you had made from the previous day to discuss with patients. You didn't have any surgeries today, so that freed up more of your time. Although you would probably use it to study. But you loved it, the job, the learning. You loved your job and it showed. Your patients would recommend others to you when deciding a risky surgical procedure, which was extremely rewarding for the work you always put into it.

7:00 a.m. You walk into the room to see a younger patient and an older woman sitting with her. The girl seemed nervous once she saw you walk in. Her leg bouncing vigorously against the the padded exam bed.

"Hello, I'm Dr. Monreau. And you must be Katie?" You smile kindly at her, seemingly to put her more at ease. She nods at your question. You turn to the older woman next to her. "You must be mom?"

"Yes, it's good to meet your Dr. Monreau. Katie isn't feeling so great so we came to see you!" She shook your hand and turned to rub her hands reassuringly on Katie's arm.