Starving

"Substance abuse, it seems she hasn't ate in days, and there's traces of bile in her tracheal area."

The loud beep of the heart monitor caused the small girl to toss and turn. She was panting, unaware of her surroundings, her eyes closed tightly. She could hear everything but she didn't want to look.

"Keep her off her IV," barked a demanding voice.

When she felt her arm being forcefully moved she groaned, shifting slightly in the emergency room bed.

"Do you want to go out for lunch, Jennie?"

"No."

Jennie's hands shook as she gripped her skirt, impatient to leave the small classroom.

"Why are you shaking? Are you sure you're okay? I think you need something to eat."

"Stop worrying about me, Lisa. I can take care of myself, I'm just cold," Jennie snapped, crossing her arms across her chest.

Lisa untied the light flannel jacket from her waist, "it's like eighty out here, Jen," she whispers as she places the jacket over Jennie's shoulders.

Jennie cuddles herself into the jacket, "I know."

Fingers lace into the fingers as the female sleeps soundly on the bed. She'd calmed her movements, only twitching occasionally.

Lisa gripped Jennie's hand tightly as her eyes watched the heart monitors painful movements. The heart monitor cried at every beat as if it was sorrowful for every patient that ended up connected to it.

"I'm sorry, Jen."

The girl groaned softly as she squeezed Lisa's hand tightly.

"Can we at least go to the movies," Lisa whined as she lay sprawled on the floor of Jennie's apartment, "we never go anywhere these days except class."

"I guess we could."

Lisa sits up, excited by the idea, "I want to see the new marvel movie!!"

"Then let's see the new marvel movie," Jennie smiles at Lisa's child like excitement.

"I want popcorn and candy too!!"

Jennie shivers at the thought of food, repulsed. She can't stand the thought of forcing even one gummy worm down her swollen throat.

Nausea hit in waves as Jennie opened her eyes. She saw the familiar ringed fingers laced in hers, the familiar shape of Lisa.

Jennie's head pounded as everything hit her, she'd done this to herself.

A bag of saline solution hung on a metal pole, connected to Jennie's arm. Her stomach felt weak and she could hardly move her body. Though she still felt stronger and fuller than she had in the last few weeks.

Jennie noticed her small hands were stained by blood and she was no longer dressed in a beautiful white dress but rather a hospital gown. She didn't feel the cold, empty feeling she was so used to as the IV slowly dripped into her bloodstream.

Drip.

Jennie's heart pounded as she stood in the concession stand line. Lisa was excited and going on about how she'd seen every marvel movie physically possible.

Jennie's mind was racing and when she felt a pang in her stomach she reached into her bag, pulling out a small, almost empty, bottle of painkillers.