Renegades One Shots- The Day of Triumph

Adrian wandered through the everlasting crowds, with people cheering and shouting. Today was the day that he both loved, yet dreaded.

Today was the Day of Triumph.

When people idolized the notorious Renegades, and their leader, Captain Chromium.

When people idolize... his dad.

It made him feel nauseous.

Millions of people were here to watch heroes parade the streets, sell superhero styled merchandise and foods, and so on. Men, women, and children alike dressed up as heroes, with bodysuits, coal colored wings attached to their backs, and blue pants and foam shoulder pads were among the waves of people. He took in the scent of the seasoned fast foods that were prepared in the numerous trucks down the street. His stomach grumbled a clear indication of his hunger.

All of a sudden, roars of hatred began: the villains' float had arrived. Some people reaching such level of obscenities, he was shocked a person could say such a thing. Then, the rain of food came. Men and women alike, threw rotten tomatoes, cabbages, someone even chucked a grapefruit into the mix. It fell onto the road, getting crushed as juice oozed out of its corpse. Adrian shuttered, not feeling hungry anymore.

He walked towards the trucks, hopefully trying to regain his hunger, just in time to see Maggie, domino mask over her eyes to appear like a super fan of the Dread Warden, crash into a girl. Instinctively, he looked at her hand, remembering her talent. A shimmering band of gold sparkled in her palm. As Maggie ran his way, he ducked down, and grabbed her ankle, turned her upside down, and walked to the stranger who owned the bracelet. He shook Maggie once, causing her to cross her arms and huff in annoyance.

"Give it back." He calmly said. She struggled, turning and twisting, trying to escape his grasp. He sighed. "Maggie, come on, every year?"

The stranger eyed him with annoyance. "What are you doing? Let her go."

Adrian simply smiled his brightest smile, his Captain Chromium smile. He glanced at the girl, and she looked confounded, yet confused.

"Alright, Mini-Magpie," he started. Maggie, in return, squirmed as much as possible. "You've got three seconds before I send in a request to put you on probation. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure the janitorial crew has been in need of some help lately..."

Magpie, still clearly annoyed, sighed with defeat, and growled, "I hate you." Still clearly annoyed, she angrily threw the metallic band back at the stranger. She instinctively caught it, not flinching. He was surprised, with the girl not blinking while catching it, just glaring at little Maggie. He dropped her, and she bounced back onto her feet, clearly from experience.

"I'm not going to report this," he said as he spoke with his most intimidating voice, "because I believe you are going to make better choices after this. Right, Magpie?" Maggie rolled her eyes in annoyance.

"You're not my dad, Sketch," she scoffed. After sending him a sinister look, she disappeared into the crowd, finding a new victim, the lady eyeing her with suspicion as she disappeared into the crowd.

"I'm just looking out for you!" he called out to her. She simply turned around and rolled her eyes, slipping on her mask that had fallen off, as she continued to walk away.

"You know, she's just going to rob someone else," the woman said, loud enough for him to hear. She was obviously annoyed at the release of the tiny prodigy. He was surprised. Many people either growled, or shouted very filthy language at him. This response was new.

"Actually, this happens every year. I kind of act like an older brother for Mag, and it definitely annoys her. Call me mean, but I purposely do it so I can hope it will make her rethink her actions." He glanced at her, then down at her wrist. A clear tan line showed where the bracelet usually comfortably rested.