No Deal

A/N*

Another heated scene in this chapter... just warning everyone.

Enjoy!!

Zarina and Balin rushed their way to the gate of the mountain, where the rest of the Company was hard at work carrying large pieces of rocks around. The bigger pieces they pulled and hoisted with pulleys and other dwarf-made machines. Balin scurried over to Dwalin to ask what was going on. Zarina's eye caught Bilbo standing on the side line, watching the scene with concern.

"Bilbo, what's going on?" she asked in worry.

He shook his head, "Thorin, he lost his mind."

"Yes, I know that but why are they building a wall in the gate?"

The hobbit looked at her with a panicked expression, "If I tell you, you're going to kill him."

"Bilbo."

"Alright, alright!" the hobbit held his hands up in defence, "There are survivors from Laketown out there. Thorin is under the impression they've come to rob him."

Zarina's blood boiled, "Rob him? Rob him?! And he thinks building a wall will keep them out..." her head jerked to where Thorin was pacing through the working dwarves.

"I want this fortress made safe by sunup." He ordered, "This mountain was hard won, I will not see it taken again."

"That son of a..." Zarina muttered in fury and stomped off towards the dwarven king.

"Zarina, no, d-don't..." Bilbo tried stopping her but failed.

The dwarves all paused what they were doing as she passed one by one. None of them have ever seen her that mad before. In fact, they were almost sure they saw her debating whether to draw her sword or not.

"Will Thorin survive this?" Gloin wondered out loud.

Bilbo shook his head helplessly, "I honestly don't know."

The moment Zarina reached the dwarven king she pushed against his chest, sending him crashing into the wall he was building. The Company and even Thorin blinked at the intensity of her anger, how it made her stronger.

"You selfish, self-centred, egocentric makk an E ha'ak! (Son of a bitch)" the atmosphere fell into silence at the dark tone in her voice, "What do you think you are doing? Those are people out there! Not animals you can lock out of your home. They need our help. They've lost everything!"

"Do not tell me what they have lost!" Thorin growled and pushed away from the wall, "I know well enough their hardship. Those who have lived through dragon fire should rejoice. They have much to be grateful for."

She looked at him in disbelief, "I can't believe what you just said. Thorin, you lost nothing! If you're talking about your precious Arkenstone, it is somewhere in that ocean of gold of yours – which I am certain that if we give Laketown their share, we'll have a better chance of finding it!"

"We owe them nothing!" Thorin barked, "If anything, they are in our dept. Thanks to us, Smaug is dead and they do not have to live in fear anymore."

"Is this how your father and grandfather ruled over Erebor?" she seethed, "Did they turn down other's cries for help? You are no king, Thorin Oakenshield. You are a greedy and cruel bastard who doesn't deserve the throne."

Suddenly a loud slap echoed through the room and a second after that a burning pain spread across Zarina's cheek. The Company drew their breaths with eyes wide in shock. No one ever expected Thorin to do something like that... Zarina touched her cheek in shock, wincing as it pricked and burned under her fingers.