Chapter One

"Another day, another headache." You grumbled, making a pot of coffee. It was too early to function.

Flipping on the news you yawned, sitting on the dusty couch. The motel room was a mess. Clothes on the floor, blanket twisted, and trash everywhere but the trash can.

"Last night police reported the death of the most eccentric and reclusive billionaire. Sir Reginald Hargreeves, known for the Umbrella Academy, passed away from what has been labeled as heart failure. More details after this," The mention of your father set off an alarm in your head, you began to shake.

Was he really dead? Or was it all another lie. The old bag never told the truth anyways. Part of you believed he deserved it, but the other felt suspicious.

"Oh man, Klaus," Shooting up you ran to the phone, looking up Klaus' favorite rehab. Since he was isolated you didn't know if he'd heard.

Ringing the number you knew by heart you sighed, leaning against the counter.

"Hello? This is Lakeshore Hills Rehabilitation, who is this?" A gruff man's voice answered.

"Is Klaus Hargreeves checked into residential? This is his sister." You replied as you played with the hem of your shirt.

"He was just discharged, he should have his phone back. Goodbye." The man hung up, leaving you standing there.

"Jeez, no need to be so friendly." You sighed, searching for Klaus' contact.

"Did you [cough] hear the news? Daddy's dead." Klaus answered, clearly not sober.

"Yeah, it was on TV. I called Lakeshore, you're out now? What is this, the tenth time? You're gonna set a new record." Allowing your shoulder to hold the phone you began getting ready for the day.

"Actually, it is the eleventh time. I'm assuming our crew is going back to the academy. You are coming, right? I don't want to be all alone." You could tell he was pouting.

"I really don't want to, but I will. Do you want me to pick you up?" You continued walking around the small room, throwing your things into a duffel bag.

"No no, I will [cough cough] be fine. See ya there (Y/N/N)." He hung up, at least he made your life easier.

Klaus was your best friend, the only person who truly understood you. Even if he was a junkie you loved him more than anything.

"Now, should i fly or drive? Flying is easier." You debated, throwing the bag onto your shoulders.

When you shifted everything attached to you shifted too. In this case your bag would fit your bird form.

Opening a window you sighed, becoming an eagle. The wider the wingspan the quicker the flight.

After a short flight you landed outside the front door, shifting back to your older form. When no one was around you didn't shift, but you hated looking young.

You trailed behind the others, kicking the floor as you walked. Mom was taking you to say goodnight to dad, it was Allison's idea. You could care less. He wouldn't even notice anyways.

When you arrived mom opened the door, allowing the eight of you to show yourselves.

"The children wanted to say goodnight," she smiled at him, he didn't even look up.

After a moment of silence she turned around.

"Okay, time for bed now kids! Come along." She led the way back to the bedrooms, heels clicking on the hardwood floors.