Chapter Three

As soon as you heard the ring of a bell you were down the stairs, pushing past the others. You loved food.

    You sat next to Klaus, the group was split into four and three. Dad sat at the head of the table with Vanya at the other end. The numbering didn't quite match up since you were added later.

    "Sit." Reginald commanded, the group sat and began to eat. An instructional audio played as the group dug into the food.

    Klaus rolled a joint under the table, you gave him the 'share' look. He nodded and grinned. Ben looked up from his book and sighed, shaking his head.

   The food was good, but kinda bland. I mean you eat the same meals almost every day. It got boring.

   Five stabbed the table, you jumped. Klaus grabbed your arm so you wouldn't fall.

   "Number Five?" Dad asked as he stopped cutting.

   "I have a question," he glared at Dad, Vanya stared at the knife in shock.

    "Knowledge is an admirable goal, but you know the rules. No talking during mealtimes. You are interrupting Herr Carlson." Dad shot him down, continuing to eat.

   You shrugged at Klaus, helping him roll more. I guess you could say he was a bad influence on you.

   Five dropped his silverware, "I want to time travel."

   "No." Dad was starting to get annoyed.

   "But I'm ready. I've been practicing my spatial jumps, just like you said," he jumped so he was standing beside Reginald.

   "See?"

   You rolled your eyes, continuing the silent conversation with Klaus. Everyone else seemed to look at each other as well.

   "A spatial jump is trivial when compared with the unknowns of time travel. One is like sliding along the ice, the other is akin to descending blindly into the depths of the freezing water and reappearing as an acorn." He took a sip of his wine without even looking at Five.

   "Well, I don't get it."

   "Hence the reason you're not ready."

   You could see Vanya shaking her head in warning at Five, but you didn't feel like dealing with his antics.

   "I'm not afraid."

   "Fear isn't the issue. The effects it might have on your body, even your mind, are far too unpredictable. Now, I forbid you to talk about this anymore." Dad slammed his hands, turning to the young boy.

   Five scowled, watching as Reginald continued his meal. In a second he was storming away, Dad calling after him.

   "Number Five," He commanded. "You haven't been excused! Get back here this instant!"

   His footsteps echoed through the house, followed by the opening and closing of a door.

   "Jesus." You mumbled, all the drama ruined your dinner vibe. The food didn't look good anymore.

  As you walked down the empty street you sighed, today was horrible. A simple funeral became a family brawl. Everyone went home, you wanted to do the same.

   Except you didn't have a home. You lived on the road, doing whatever felt right. After leaving the academy you pursued the hippie life.

   You were alone, bored, and homeless (since you didn't have any money at the time). With a groan you pulled out your phone, dialing Klaus' number.