chapter 5

English, my 'favorite' subject, well, it was my favorite subject back in England. I had the best teacher, all we had to do was sit in a classroom and make books about whatever we want. We could also listen to music, so that was fun.

     Now we have to sit and actually listen to the teacher. We didn't have our freedom to do anything. We couldn't have our phones out just sitting on the desk and doing nothing, we couldn't listen to music either. We couldn't ask to borrow a pencil or an eraser from our neighbor. Every time a word is said without the teacher's permission, we would be sent outside the classroom for being a 'nuisance'.

     Well, during English, Abby was acting like an everyday school kid as nothing happened. I couldn't get a conversation with her since she was on the other side of the classroom. So I just ended up staring at her like a creep. She probably noticed me a few times, but that's okay.

     Passing periods existed and I never got to say a single word to her. I just couldn't do it, it was too awkward for me to just pull her out of her group of friends. Well, I could just talk to them, but I have no energy to socialize with that many people at the same time.

     During the break, I was at my locker, just casually getting my stuff until I heard a conversation. The thing is, I don't usually eavesdrop on conversations, even though I did so on like 2 today. It was a conversation between two nerds:

"Dude, I've heard Abby and Zach have been taking it out this morning."

"I saw it, I even have footage!" He said while reaching down to his pocket, pulling out a phone.

"Send it to the group chat, they're gonna be so jealous of how much footage we're getting of them."

"We should post it on the school homepage!"

"Ohohoh, we should!"

They both snickered and walked off down the hallway.

"They don't know..." I heard a voice right next to me, it sounded soft just like Abby's-

"A-Abby?!" I stuttered, why is she there? Wait a minute, does she actually know me? I scanned the area, this is the same hallway Deti and I was in this morning. Why didn't I recognize this sooner?

"Uh..." She blinked at me, "Who are you?"

Oh crap, I forgot this is the first time she saw me in person.

She looked at me, then scanned my clothing. "Oh! You new here or something? I haven't seen you around before," She struck a conversation with me before I even got to gather my courage to say something to her.

"Yeah... I just transferred here yesterday..." I tried to avoid eye contact, it was too awkward with her since I felt bad 'stalking' her earlier. I was just staring in my locker, looking at the back plain grey metal wall. She never recognized my voice from yesterday.

"You probably heard the rumors then." Her voice deepened,

"Uh... excuse me, but what rumors?" I lied, I didn't want to start any trouble with her.

"Don't deny it, I'm positive that you heard them." She said as she opened and put a few books in her locker. "What other ways would you know my name?"

"I heard it from a friend," I rolled my eyes, "a stupid one," I mumbled,

"Surprising..." She said,

"What's surprising?"

"That you made a friend the first day you came here," She shifted her weight on to her other leg, twirling her hair on her finger, "I guess you're special then, where you from?"

"England, I moved over winter break." I sounded proud, seeing a student from England is not something you would see every day.

"Interesting, ever been to the US before?"

"Never, first time," I grabbed my history book, folder, and pencil case and I finally closed my locker. 

     I looked up at Abby, then glanced in her locker. It was filled with... yellow. Yellow, like everywhere. A yellow polaroid camera with pictures of her friends hung on the locker wall. The fairy lights hung from the top of her locker, those were even yellow too. She even had book covers that were full of sunflowers and more yellow. She must really love yellow that much, well, it does look good on her not gonna lie.

    "Is your next class history?" She asked as she closed her locker shut.

I nodded, "Aren't you in the same class as me?"

"Yeah, so let's walk together," She smiled at me,

"Wait, what about your friends?" I wondered. I didn't want them to be jealous because I was leaving them behind with her.

"They don't matter right now," Her gaze slightly shifted down, she seemed mad at them.

"O-Oh... okay," I took a deep breath, fixing my sweater before heading off with Abby.

     It was comforting to know that Abby is okay, but I still don't know why she was off the day we visited her at her house. I'm gonna guess that it has something to do with Zach.

     I can tell Zach is who think they can do anything with their girl, it's like he's playing with a toy. I don't understand why Abby said 'yes' to a guy like him. He's basically a stupid a** b*tch. And yes, I know what I said. Those kinds of dudes just get on my nerves.

     Maybe the reason she was feeling off is because of something else, maybe it's something relating to her family and friends? We'll never know.

"Hey, are you okay?" I felt a nudge on my right side. Abby was looking at me, worriedly, "You seem distant,"

"Yeah," I nodded, "I just like... thinking... a lot." I smiled at her, "It's nothing to be worried about,"

"Okay," She slowed down her pace a little bit, "Oh- I forgot, what's your name anyways?"

"Lystria Rori Ayers," I responded,

"I didn't expect you to give your full name..."

"No one expects it,"

"Well then, the name's Abby Bree Monroe- even though you probably knew that."