Chapter 6

"Are you sure you want to do this, Pete?" Tony asked from the other side of the room, watching as his son picked up the pen to sign the Accords. Ross was stood behind Peter's chair, watching the teen in a mixture of fear and morbid curiosity.

"Well, Stark, he doesn't really have a choice now... does he?" the General said, smiling at the man's lack of control over the situation. The powerful Tony Stark finally having to listen to the law because he wouldn't want his son hurt, would he now? "If he doesn't sign then I'll have to detain him."

Peter exhaled before replying to both his Dad and Ross. "I'm fine, Dad... honest. If this keeps us on the right side of the law, I'll do it."

Ross patted the kid firmly on the shoulder, causing Tony to shudder. "You've got yourself a smart kid, Stark. Maybe you should take some advice from him." The General laughed.

Oh, Stark hated that laugh. He hated that man. However, sometimes the genius had to set an example of himself. A good example... He couldn't avoid the UN forever, he might as well listen now whilst he still had a chance of keeping the suits.

Anyway, even if they did take the ones they knew about away, they were so many more that they'd never find. Tony was an intelligent man, after all. No one would ever outsmart him. Ever. Except maybe Peter.

"D-done," said Peter quietly as he pushed the pieces of signed paper towards Ross. The older man had a malicious glint in his eye, his face painted in the thoughts of his scheming mind.

A strange sensation waved over Peter. He couldn't be Spider-Man, now. He had to wait for the UN to let him. He could train, of course. But, he couldn't go out every night with his Dad. He couldn't save people unless he was given permission. The teen took a deep breath. He knew this was better than the alternative. If his identity was ever revealed to the government then he would be forced to give it up forever... and it was likely there would be worse consequences too.

Peter was about to say something else- to ask what would happen to those who didn't sign, to those who didn't know they had to sign, when the door opened. There was a lady, dressed in a suit, with her red hair tied up neatly in a bun. "Mr Stark," she said politely, "You have a message regarding your son. I've been told it's urgent."

Tony stared into space for a second, before replying with, "Shit. Pep, can you clear my schedule for the rest of the day... Pete, come on." The genius stood up, indicating for his son to follow. "See you later, Ross."

As soon as they were out of the door, Tony pulled Pepper into a kiss. He knew it was something he probably shouldn't have done, especially in front of his kid, but it was well worth it. "Damn..." he mumbled, after taking a step away from her. "Pep, I-"

"Have wanted to do that for a long time, Tony?" she suggested, her eyes wide in a mixture of both shock and admiration. She leant against the wall, throwing a quick look at Peter before turning her gaze back to the ground.

The genius snorted. "You still don't look like you're protesting against this... You actually like me, don't you, Pep?" He smiled. "Please tell me there's nothing actually concerning Pete because I don't think I can just walk away from that."

Pepper and Tony had come up with a getaway code for the man back when he first decided that meetings were boring and that ditching them for another hour in the workshop was way more fun. It generally got used once or twice a month but no one had noticed it so far, or if they had they just let the man run off to play with his robots.

"D-dad?" Peter stuttered, his face crimson, his eyes wide in shock. A part of the boy still imagined his Pops and Dad getting back together, despite the fact that Pops had already moved on. His Dad had been looking at his CEO, in a way Peter could only describe as admiration, for years. Maybe he should have seen it coming... but then again since when did the expected every actually happen?

"You see old Spangles and the One-Armed-Wonder making out all the time, why can't I enjoy myself a little?" Tony said, teasing his kid. It was the moments like these, the happy ones, the ones where he could wind up his son, that he never wanted to forget. After everything they had all been through, Pete especially, even the smallest moments were special enough to be savoured.

"Because-"

The teen stopped. He didn't really have an answer. Maybe it was because Pepper was a woman. That kind of made sense- it wasn't like he had ever seen either of his parents in a heterosexual relationship before. He hadn't really seen his Dad flirt with anyone other than Pops... or, more likely, he had just never noticed him flirt with others.

Tony ruffled Peter's hair. He then turned his attention back to the redhead. "You. Me. Dinner. Tonight. The Penthouse." He smirked as Pepper opened her mouth to argue. "Shush," he said, "It's non-negotiable." He brought his finger to his lips, signalling silences

He then grabbed Peter's hand, slowly walking towards the elevators. "See you later, Miss Potts."

* * *

Steve forced himself to walk down the aisle, the wooden coffin light compared to the heavy pit in his stomach. It felt like a trek up a mountain just to get to the front of the hall. There were tears in the soldier's eyes, his hands shaking under the weight of death and guilt. If only he had been with her this entire time, maybe then she would have lived longer, maybe then she would have been okay.