Chapter 9

"You got five seconds, Cap."

Steve sighed. He took another step towards his boyfriend, or at least towards the man, who resembled him. The thoughts were all gone. All those happy memories were yet to resurface from the depths of Bucky's mind. "You pulled me from the river... why?"

It was a decent question. If Bucky didn't remember him, why would the soldier save his life? Unfortunately, the brunet was reluctant to provide an answer- and Steve wasn't sure if this was due to Hydra's training or because the man actually had nothing else to say. "I don't know..." he provided, which gave Steve next to nothing.

"Three seconds!"

"Yes... Yes, you do."

"Breach! Breach! Breach!" Sam yelled from over the comms. A grenade crashed through the window, settling beside Bucky. The glass was thrown everywhere, painting the floor in shattered, transparent fragments. The assassin kicked it towards his former friend and watched as the Captain smothered it with his shield.

Steve could hear voices. They were speaking in German. He wasn't sure what they were saying but knowing his luck it was unlikely to be good. Suddenly, the sound of the door being battered echoed through the room. They were trying to get in. They were trying to get to Bucky. He had to do something.

Bucky grabbed a mattress, lifting it with such ease that it appeared to way nothing. He pushed it to his side, blocking an attack from the window. Then he pushed a table towards the door, delaying their pursuers by a fraction as they began to swing into the building on cables.

Steve pulled a rug from beneath one of the German men, sending him flying. They may not have been fighting on the same team but at least now they had a mutual enemy. Bucky brought the blond back from his thoughts by slamming another man against the wall, the man's eyes rolling inside his head at the impact. "Buck! Stop! You're gonna kill someone."

Bucky dropped the man and turned his attention to Steve, swift to push him down to the ground by his chest. He punched a hole into the floor with his metal arm. "I'm. Not. Gonna. Kill. Anyone!" He then pulled up a floorboard, grabbing the backpack that was hidden beneath it; he throws it out of the window. Bucky then gets behind Steve, using the man and his shield as a way to avoid getting hit by the oncoming storm of bullets.

Another man was heading towards them, and to stop him, Bucky shoved Steve into him, causing the German to fall over in pain. More bullets came and Bucky used his metal hand to repel them, throwing another man into the shelves that lined one of the walls. Then, before anything else could happen, Bucky ran to the stairway, jumping a level without injuring himself. He had to get away.

Steve threw him a worried look, hurrying to follow after him. He watched as his boyfriend chucked a man over the railings and ran to catch him. He did. Why he did it.... he didn't know. Maybe it was his moral, maybe he just didn't want to see his friend kill more than he had to. He looked at Bucky wearily. "Come on man!"

Steve threw the cop up onto the landing, making sure that his gun was far enough away to not be a danger. He then hurled an oncoming hostile over his shoulder, allowing the man to hit the concrete. He could hear the whimper escape the German's mouth, surprisingly he didn't feel as guilty as he thought he would.

Bucky broke a bannister and swung down on it. The sound of wood snapping flooding the soldier with more adrenaline. He then took out another three men, careful to make sure no one is behind him.

A man aimed at Bucky, his gun following the assassin's head. Steve knocked the man's gun out of his hands with his shield whilst Bucky leapt down the stairway once again. He caught onto the railing with his flesh hand. Then he climbed up onto the floor, ran down the corridor and threw himself off of the balcony. He tumbled onto the lower roof of the neighbouring building, where he found where his backpack had landed. He picked it up and ran.