chapter 19: history and harrowing

Im really shit at writing kissing scenes but I tried so show some love :$

"No, absolutely not."

"Mia, c'mon it'll be fun I swear."

"No, Clay." He sighs and tries to dislodge me from the car door for the fifth time since we got here.

My scrawny arms are latched around the handle and his huge ass hands are around my ankle, pulling me and my summery dress.

"Nothing will happen." I can hear his feet crunching on the gravel and smirk. He's not winning this one.

"Remember the last time we were here?"

"Yes but now Jamie has skipped town." He argues.

Of course Clayton would take me to the place I almost died in drag racing. And near the same house Jamie and I re-met.

"But that doesn't mean I wannna come back here." I let go of the door with one hand and wave it around at our surroundings.

Clayton takes the opportunity and tugs me hard enough to admonish my grip on the door. I stumble as I lose my grip.

"It won't be that bad, Lumps." He grabs my shoulders to steady me and holds my face. I roll my eyes as he leans in for a kiss but turn so that he kisses my cheek. He frowns but shrugs and grabs my hand. He better fucking learn.

"Give it another go, please love?" He looks at my passive face and I sigh.

"Fine." I whine and he kisses my forehead. I can already hear the excited chatter and smell burnt rubber.

My stomach twists but I ignore it. I need to suck it up because relationships require sacrifice.

I stop dead in my tracks when I see a familiar head of blonde hair standing and talking to Josh. Clayton follows my gaze and frowns.

"Mia...I swear I had no idea she-"

"It's chilled."

"-was gonna be... wait what?" He looks at me confused.

"I said it's fine Clayton. Now can we just get this over with?"

"Y-yeah." He seems thrown off by my reaction. Maybe there's something I should know that he hasn't told me. But we're past that. He wouldn't do that.

"Just for this you're taking me to a school dance, seeing as you refused to when we started." I say and he smiles. Since when did that become so attractive? I resist the urge to fan my hormonal self as he says,

"After I win, you can get any dress you want." With that he walks off. I fold my arms and sway on my ridiculously high heels.

"What happened to our deal?"

I turn and see Lindsay standing beside me, her eyes following Clayton. She looks so different without her cheerleading uniform, it makes me wonder.

I watch him get in his car and run a hand through my hair.

"We sorted our shit out." I shrug. Was I really going to tell her my personal problems?

The answer is a big fat no.

Even with my heeled boots she towers over me.

"Why are you here?" I ask, not acusingly but rather curiously.

"Josh invited me." She says and I nod. I had noticed him steal one or ten glances in her direction before. Good for him.

"Nice." I mutter.