Chapter Two

Mercury takes a step out of the stall, looking disgustedly at the floor. Even Hell is cleaner than this pit, there's demons who secrete slime and even they keep the bathroom cleaner than New York. After getting over how gross the bathroom was, he takes a look in the mirror to see his red flesh is replaced with tan skin. It is the human form that he takes every time he comes to the human realm. It's a wonder he hasn't gotten caught with how much shit he gets in to.

He leaves the bathroom and enters an even worse place. The subway station is littered with newspapers and cigarette cartons all over the ground. There's a random stain on the tiled wall but Mercury chooses not to focus on this. A little kid is staring at him with a blank look on his face and Mercury has the urge to make a dumb face at it but he turns away and exits the subway.

"Hey kid, what're you doing looking like that?" a guy outside the subway says. Mercury looks down at his outfit and notices that he's wearing his outfit from hell, a black cloak and black pants. He rolls his eyes.

"Didn't you know? There's a Star Wars convention a couple blocks away," Mercury says with fake kindness to his voice, then gives the man a scowl. "You're standing outside a fucking subway station. Mind your own damn business."

With that, Mercury turns on his heel and walks down the street. Once he's out of sight of the man, he checks his pockets of the cloak and mumbles about the Flame never dropping him off in a convenient spot. He pulls out a note and a key, the note reading :

The apartment is ready for you and here is the key. Supplies are there. Your assignment begins now.
-Lucifer.

He stuffs the note back in his pocket after quickly reading the address on the back. He has time to kill until sunset when the Enigma opens and the monsters roam the streets. Might as well kill time and check this apartment out, as well as grab a change of clothes. Now is not the time for him to deal with humans asking about his outfit choices.

He arrives outside the apartment ten minutes later, staring up at the dingy brick building. Did Lucifer really just put him up in a sixth circle tomb? The place looks absolutely terrible. However, he puts those thoughts aside, entering the building and taking the elevator to the third floor. The apartment itself isn't too bad itself, just a studio apartment with boxes and sparse furniture. Mercury doesn't really care, he'll hardly be here with his task. It's more of the supplies that he is concerned with.

Picking through the different boxes, he starts organizing the different supplies into piles by their usefulness. That is until he gets to a box that's filled with modern day clothes. He pulls out an outfit and pulls off his clothes, sliding the new clothes on. He admires himself in the mirror before nodding his head and going to stand by the big windows adorning the wall.

The road below is almost empty besides a few passing cars and hardly any people are walking by. Looking up, he has a nice view of the city with the sun slowly setting below the skyscrapers and buildings. The sun paints the sky in colors of reds and pinks. This view was one of the things that Mercury loved so much about the earth realm. It was always so pretty during sunrise and sunset. The sunset also brought something with it, the rise of the creatures.

The creatures that live in New York came to life during the night as the Enigma opened up. Many creatures socialized there, even worked there. It served as the center of creature life. There were even rumors of the blackmarket running in the basement of the club but Mercury has never checked it out, seeing no reason why he would need a vampire fang or a fin from a siren.

Mercury moves around the apartment, gathering different supplies that he thought he would need for tonight. Not that he'd need much, since he was just staking out the club hoping to get any info on this mysterious fallen angel. However, he didn't want to be unprepared for whatever decided to come his way. Sometimes these creatures could be a little on edge and Mercury being himself, well, he always pushed some buttons one way or another. After gathering everything he thought he would need and checking the time, he heads out for the night.