Chapter 11.

(SONG SUGGESTION: PHOTOGRAPH BY ED SHEERAN)

My journey home to England consisted of a windy, rough boat ride and a long road journey home to the countryside. I was slightly saddened as I travelled because I had left  the hospital so soon and I certainly had not stayed as long as I was supposed to and that was obvious.

Due to the sudden end to Harry's letters, I could only assume that I was being sent home under bad circumstances. I missed him greatly and if he was still alive, I could not wait to see him again.

Then I arrived home. It was pleasant to be back, enjoying my home comforts of a soft bed and warm food, but when I saw the small little letter on the side, all such hope vanished as I recognised the dreaded envelope. I slowly and shakily teared it open with the tiniest bit of faith that it would not say what I was expecting. However, no such thing happened, for when I read it the words on the paper said:

With deepest regrets we must inform you that General Styles, one of our most humble soldiers, was killed in action as he came under enemy fire, fighting against the opposition. We must offer our sincerest sympathies at this hard time.

Enclosed with this letter, is some of his belongings he had with him, we hope they provide you comfort at this time.

Yours faithfully, The War Office.

The words on the letter, became smudged as reality sank in. I had began to suspect the worse, yet did not want to believe it to be true. Part of me had a hope that Harry would return to me, even after his letters began to stop.

I had hope of marriage and a future, but as I read the letter that was now stained with my tears, I lost every little ounce of it. For, Harry was gone. We would never marry nor would he father my children as he had promised. All such promise was shot and sent into dust, just like Harry.

As I tried to recollect myself, I began to pick up the the belongings that had been sent with the letter. The first of them that I noticed was truly flattering, as he had a photograph of me. I don't even know how he received this photograph, for I had never given it to him. It had been taken not long before he left for war, the first time.

The photograph was in poor condition, it was slightly crumpled and somewhat dusty, with mud stains here and there. I held it in my hand, relishing in the fact that not too long ago Harry himself would have touched this very photograph. It felt like the only connection that I shared with him in this moment.

Then I turned it over, pleasantly surprised to see what was on the back. For Harry had written a note, in tiny handwriting to make it fit. My eyes skimmed over the words, tears still rolling down my cheeks.

Lily, 

I stole this picture so I could have it with me, to keep me safe. Because you have always given me a sense of security Lily, always. I knew if I'd have simply asked for a photograph of you, you'd have claimed me peculiar, so I took one instead. Sorry.

I wrote this, with the suspicion that I may not make it back to you. And as I write it I have not long left the hospital and I already miss you an incredible amount. I miss you so so much.

The purpose of this note is that I want you to know this: This photograph has not left my side once since I've been away from you. It became precious to me. It brang me hope in a time when there was none, you brang me hope and having the photograph reminded me of that. I had hope of a future with you, hope that I could leave here and spend my life with you, and for that I am ever thankful.

As I told you before, I would often look at the stars at night and think of you. So whenever you're out at night and you see the stars, I want you to think of me and I'll be up there looking down at you. I promise.

I wish I could have made it back to you sweetheart but unfortunately I haven't. I know that death out here will be one of a hero. For if it does come to this, I have died fighting for my country.

All my love, always, Lily.

Harry Styles, xx

His words were heartwarming yet heartbreaking at the same time. He continued to make me feel special even though he had gone. But the fact that he was gone had me distraught and this was something I would have to accept even though it hurt so much to do so.

His instruction to look at the stars and think of him made me chuckle a little through my tears. He had told me of the stars several times at the hospital and even did in this letter. This was not to say I wouldn't do as he asked however, because stars would always remind me of him, especially the times we spent at the hospital. And they'd always remind me of him because he was a star and a heroic one at that.

Not only did the star have so much importance but the fact that he never let the picture of me leave his side, was also too significant for me to ignore. It was proof that he really did love me , just as I had grown to love him. And because of this, I vowed to myself that I would find a picture of him, and never, ever let it leave my side.

A/N: I'M SORRY IF YOU HATE ME FOR THIS. 

Here is why:

I just want to tell you why I did what I did, and apologise for it as many of you were commenting in previous chapters that you hoped Harry wouldn't die. 

I ended it this way because it is a war novel and I wanted to reflect that. Death was obviously a huge part of the war and every single soldier died a hero. So basically, I wanted to show the heartbreak of war and I also believe that sad endings are needed in stories sometimes. 

I hope this doesn't put you off of anymore of my stories, because I would love for you all to check my other fanfics out. I promise they won't all have such sad endings :( 

Finally, I'd just like to say that I am thankful to anyone who has read, voted or commented on this story. I don't have many readers, nor do I recieve much feedback but the people that do; thankyou.

Love you guys, you are fab.

Please vote and comment xx