Chapter Eleven

(y/n)'s POV

I opened my eyes in the morning, feeling a tight pressure on my waist. I then realized that I was pressed against someone, with my face nestled into their chest. I pulled my head back, trying to blink the drowsiness out of my eyes.

I nearly gasped when I saw Jack's face, eyes closed lightly and mouth quirked up into the smallest of smiles. His hair was a mess, and with my slight movement I felt him pull me closer, if that was even possible at this point.

My arms were lazily wrapped around his waist, and I traced little shapes on his back with my index finger. Our legs were also tangled, and sunlight was streaming in through a window. I heard nothing besides birds chirping and soft breathing, so I figured I was the first person awake.

I looked back up to his face and saw that his smile had grown now, and I decided to drink in the moment and bury my face in his chest again.

Having his strong arms wrapped around me was amazing, it felt secure and more like home than anything I'd ever felt. Just that thought sent butterflies fluttering in my stomach, and made warmth spread through my veins to my entire body.

I felt his breathing become a little less even and he started to stir, so I stopped tracing shapes and fluttered my eyes closed, deciding to pretend to still be asleep.

It felt nice being in Jack's embrace, hearing his steady heartbeat. I wished I'd had another minute or two before he woke up, but I felt him lift his head and heart his heart pick up in speed when he noticed me.

He immediately loosened his grip on me, and tried to get out, probably to leave me here and pretend this never happened. I suppressed a smirk and decided to tighten my grip on him, causing him to freeze. I felt him lift himself slightly to look around.

I snuggled deeper into his chest, pretending to be just waking up now.

I lifted my head off his chest and loosened my grip lazily, blinking while looking up at him. His pupils were dilated and a soft smile was settled on his face.

"Mornin' sleepin' beauty. Sleep well?" He whispered. I smiled up at him, taking in his appealingly scruffy appearance

"Yeah, sorry for falling asleep on you by the way. How'd you sleep?" I murmured back.

"I slept fine. And it's cool, it's not like you were bad company," he assured gently, making my little smile grow.

"Glad to hear that I didn't accidentally cuddle you to death," he chuckled a little bit at my comment, and I started to trace little shapes on his back again. He blushed a bit in response.

"What's that about?" He asked. I really liked making him flustered. It was adorable when the tough guy was subdued to nothing but awkwardness and pink cheeks.

"What's what about?" I batted my eyes innocently, earning a quiet laugh. He laughed at practically every joke I said. I liked that.

"You're tracing circles and triangles and stuff on my back," he informed me with a deadpan expression.

"I dunno, but do you mind it? I can stop if you want," I offered softly. I didn't wanna mention that he seemed to like it when he was sleeping, since that was pretty weird to say out loud.

"No, it... it's perfectly fine," I could feel his breath hitch and I nodded, broadening my ever-present smile in reassurance.

Jack's POV

It must have been a coincidence. It couldn't have been anything else, it was impossible.

Just before I woke up, I had dreamed that she and I were living together over in Santa Fe, just laying together and talking, and she did the exact same thing she was currently doing.

I loved the feeling, with her soft and delicate fingers sending tingles throughout my whole body. But it was a strange coincidence. As well as I knew her, that was a weird thing to dream.

"Whatcha thinkin'?" She asked gently in that scratchy morning voice that made me fall for her all over again. I resisted the urge to kiss the top of her head, instead choosing to look deep into her (e/c) eyes.

"Nothing really. Just... thinkin'," I told her quietly.

I liked this, and I wished this wasn't just because we fell asleep watching a movie at a friend's house. I wished that we had our own little cottage where we could lay in bed for hours and just talk and look at each other, basking in each other's presence like teenage sweethearts who never left the honeymoon phase.

"I get that. Hey, we should probably get up now, yeah?" She asked, studying my face. I nodded, retracting my arms from her small frame.

She rolled backwards and fell off the couch, covering her mouth so that the group couldn't hear her giggles.

"So that's why you were holding me!" She whispered, and I flicked her forehead playfully. I sat up and she moved to sit next to me, sadly leaving some space between our sides.

"Yeah, that's why," I gave her a little smile. Her eyes looked less tired than they normally did, instead they were lit up with joy. I was glad that I could make her be like that. She really was a fantastic girl.

It took me a minute to realize that we spent a second too long just staring into each other's eyes, with hands so close that our pinkies brushed together lightly. I leaned closer, bumping her shoulder with mine. Her hair dangled gracefully, framing her face despite her very obvious bed-head.

My neck felt hot, and my ears were practically on fire. But I found myself trapped in her eyes, and I couldn't tear my own away. Though I didn't particularly want to, I just wanted to get lost in the moment, in the tiny details in her eyes. Little flecks of color, and a lively light that I'd never seen in anybody's eyes, dancing playfully in the morning light.

My eyes strayed for a split second to her lips. They looked soft, and my desire to lean in and kiss them until they were bruised couldn't be described in any words thats existed.

"Guys?" A voice broke the spell, and she jumped a foot backward as I retracted my hand, looking up to Crutchie, who had sat up and was looking at us questioningly.

(1095 words)