Chapter 1

As they stepped into the small foyer of the house, Alder casually pulling off his boots and socks, Isolda huffed in disgust. The scent of the mud overwhelmed the clean, slightly pine-scented air of the foyer.

Alder made a huffing sound that would have been laughing if his vocal cords worked, and signed, I'll take this outside and get clean then, shall I?

'Yes, you shall,' Isolda sniffed, but nonetheless went outside to a clear patch of fading green concrete and bathed in the sun. Of course, she knew that Alder knew she was watching him anyway, just to make sure he was safe, despite her squinted eyes and lazy sprawl.

Alder glanced over at her as he soaked his legs in the tub of clean water. She blinked her eyes closed and looked away slowly, as though she hadn't just been caught keeping watch on him.

Just faintly, a scent drifted towards her on the breeze. It was musky like dirt and tangy like the bright yellow lemons in the orchard out the back. She ran over the scents she knew in her mind until she recognised the one that currently filled the air. It was Alder's good friend and mentor, Agrona Sidrun. She was an older lady, about ninety years old.

Of course, she wasn't the oldest. Due to the genetic advancements of the Pre-Rebirth Era, humans had a natural immunity to many diseases, and a stronger constitution compared to their ancient world predecessors.

Agrona was a spry lady, really. Her eyes glowed with mischief and knowledge, and her dog link, Penley, was similar, with thin, wiry brown fur. He was seventy-two years old; a fit, muscled dog with a dozen or so pinkish-white scars on him. Despite his age, his muscles rippled beneath his coat like a flag in the breeze.

That wasn't surprising to her. Most humans lived for around three hundred years. They didn't begin to look middle-aged until their hundred and fifties, and due to the complete joining of links, any animal bonded to a human also gained heightened intelligence and an extended life-span to match their human counterparts.

Isolda lay her head on the ground and hoped on all of the rivers on Earth that Penley wouldn't come over and bark, talk and prance. Alder was the one who could put up with that - Isolda just couldn't.

As if he knew what she was thinking - which, she was reminded, he sometimes did, as it was not an uncommon thing for her to accidentally broadcast her thoughts when she was annoyed - he glanced over at her and nodded discretely towards Penley. Isolda sighed and nodded; she got the message. Don't be rude to Penley.

He chuckled through their link, as it would be rude to do so out loud and turned to sign a welcome to Agrona. Agrona greeted him and began speaking quietly. Penley glanced over at Agrona protectively, and upon confirming that she would be fine, approached Isolda.

Isolda mentally braced herself, but she needn't have done so. Penley was serious and grave for once and sat himself down next to her without a bounce, bark or slobber. She was especially thankful for the absence of the latter.

They were silent for a while, watching the serious conversation between Agrona and Alder, and Isolda quickly came to the conclusion that he was going to tell her whatever Agrona was telling Alder.

She huffed and shifted to a warmer spot on the concrete - which was, coincidentally, farther away from Penley, who had sat slightly too close for her comfort - and flickered her ear to the side. Catching the 'what is it' from her, Penley let out a sigh. A moment later, there was a distinctly dog-like niggling in her mind. She accepted the requested mind-link and immediately said, 'Well?'

Penley hesitated. 'I know you have had a hard life, Isolda. Agrona and I know that you and Alder have been through a lot. We don't want to put such stress on you, but we know you can handle yourselves...' he trailed off, giving Isolda the impression he had no idea how to say what he wanted to.