Chapter 2 [EDITED]

RAINE

Two Months Later

Once I was stupid enough to believe that rock-bottom didn't exist.

Even when I was barely able to keep my head afloat, I stood by a liar. Nick, the boy I thought I could still save. Loving him ought to change him one day, wasn't it? But that's the thing about love. It's an illusion. A pretty one you can't help but lure yourself into, that's your safe haven.

Until it isn't.

Until you start to see things. The little truths at first. And then there's nothing stopping you from the violent fall.

"Raine? You ready?"

A simple voice is enough to break my thoughts into pieces. Out of everyone in my life, Nick's betrayal hurt me the most. As if I wasn't above selling my soul to a devil for him...

Don't go there, Raine, don't you dare.

"I'm ready," I tell that to Nick but when I take another look in the mirror, I don't like what I see. I look young, too young for this world. As if a white gown can magically restore all my innocence. Nowadays, I'm not even allowed to choose my own dress.

Damn it.

Before he can say anything, I dive for the red lipstick, swiping it over my lips with a smile. There. Once Papa said that only a whore will choose such a bold color. How befitting is that even a whore has more freedom than me?

"Papa won't like it if we're late," Nick blurts out, running his finger through his hair, and my heart lurches.

Not because he's worried, it's because we are so far apart that he can't see the pain in my eyes. I can't help but retort. "If I'm late, Nick. You mean he won't like it if I'm late."

He looks at me then, really looks with a frown. For a brief second, I wonder if the brother I had before everything fell apart is back when he shakes his head, erasing every bit of hope within me. "Let's go. It's really getting late."

This time I follow him without a word until someone clears their throat. My body stiffens completely before I can control the action. Nick must have realized that I stopped as he turns around to chide me but in a minute, there's a tight-lipped smile in his face.

"Papa."

Speak of the devil.

In spite of the fear growing in my bones, I have no choice but to turn around and return his affection. He wraps me into a bone-crushing hug, forcing me to stop breathing. Only when he lets me go that I dare to breathe.

Still, the smell of blood lingers...

"Nicholas, Raine. You two dressed up good."

My brother is eager to answer quickly. He always is.

"I wanted to make you proud. And..." He pauses as if now realizing that I'm with them. "This is an important function after all."

Oh, he calls mingling with Mafia leaders from all over the world an important function. Maybe for them, it is. But for me, it's just another way for my father to let everyone know who runs the La Eme now that Bratva has taken over most of the business.

After all, the real King is dead.

For them anyway. But he remains in my nightmare, whispering every depraved thing he'd do to me once he's out.

You're my thorn.

I can't let you go now.

You're mine.