Chapter XXXVI

"There are my girls!" Mark beamed once Beca and Chloe walked through the front door of their house. "How was your trip?"

"It was great!" Chloe beamed. "We had so much fun!"

"Good! Did you enjoy yourself, Bec?"

"Yeah, I did," she nodded with a smile.

Chloe bit her lip to stop herself from giggling and rubbed Beca's arm as her fingers were laced with the brunette's.

"Well, I'm glad you two had a good time. Now that you're back, come and sit down."

Beca and Chloe walked over to Mark who was sitting at the dining table with a bunch of paperwork in front of him.

"What's up, dad?" Beca asked.

"Well, it's about Randall."

Both girls' blood went cold when they heard the name.

"What about him?"

"As you know, he's been arrested and the police have done an exceptional job about getting him put in front of a judge. The judge has looked at the case and to cut a long story short, Randall is going to be brought before the judge where he will be trialled and sent to prison."

"That's great!" Beca said then turned to Chloe. "Isn't that great, babe?"

"Yeah," Chloe nodded with a smile.

"However, there is one thing that needs to happen at the trial."

"What's that?" Beca asked.

"Chloe will need to testify."

Chloe's face fell. "W, what?"

"You'll need to testify against your father. You'll be put in a small booth where a lawyer will ask you questions and all you have to do is answer honestly."

"Will he be there?"

"Yes," Mark nodded.

Chloe looked down at her hands and toyed with her thumb ring but it didn't last long when Beca took the redhead's hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

"You can do it, babe," Beca told her softly. "Dad and I will be right there. There's nothing he can do."

"I... I..."

"What are you scared of the most?"

Chloe fought back her tears. "I'm scared that he'll hurt me."

"He won't, honey," Mark assured her. "He won't be able to talk to you let alone go near you and trust me, the police will be right by your side, making sure he doesn't come near you. Police don't muck around when it comes to stuff like this. If they could have their way, they'd do all sorts of things to people like your father. Sometimes they have."

"I've never said anything against my dad in front of him before... He'll be there and he'll be watching me... I don't want to see him."

"You don't have to look at him, baby," Beca rubbed her thumb over the top of Chloe's hand. "I wouldn't give him that pleasure. Just look at the lawyer, look at me, look at dad, look at anyone other than him. I know it's easier said than done but pretend like he's not there. You can do it, Chlo. You're stronger than you think."

"Exactly," Mark nodded. "And Chloe, honey, the strongest and hardest thing you did was telling Beca and myself about everything you've been through. Saying something for the first time is so strong. You're an amazing young woman and I know for a fact that you can testify against your father. The judge has all of the evidence, all you need to do is answer the lawyer's questions. It'll be over before you know it."