Part 1

"Liam, why don't you eat something? Please? It's not healthy to starve yourself," I murmured softly, looking sadly at the lump on the bed. 

"No, go away Niall. Just leave me alone!" Liam shouted but the words were muffled under the sheets. 

I sighed and turned my heels to go out of the room. I glanced back for a second before closing the door shut. 

He's been like this for over a week now. Nothing we could say could cheer Liam up. We tried calling Danielle and asking her what happened to make them break up. She told us that she didn't love him anymore and couldn't bear to lead him on any further so she decided to end it as soon as possible. I'm not sure if that meant she found someone else or she really didn't feel the love anymore. Actually, I just don't think she's telling us the main reason.

I felt like my heart was going to break for my best friend. I would hear his silent sobs but knew I couldn't  ease the pain. All I could do is listen and hope that he would come back. 

***

"Niall."

I felt a hand shake me but shrugged it off. It can wait; I'm too deep in sleep.

"Niall, wake up."

I groaned as the shaking didn't stop as I rolled around on the bed before sitting up with weary eyes. The first thing I noticed was a figure, next to my bed. My room was pitch black so I had to squint before my eyes adjusted to the darkness. "Liam?" I asked, crawling closer.

"It's me Nialler," he chuckled with his deep, throaty voice. I missed it so much.

"Liam!" I practically flung my whole body against him, embracing him tightly, afraid that this was a dream. 

"Easy mate, don't crush me now," he joked. I slowly slid off him, confused. Why is he not depressed anymore? I mean, it's great he's not but I don't think it'll be that easy. 

"Liam? Tell me, what's wrong?" I asked, holding onto his wrist. His eyes flash with sadness and he suddenly broke down. 

"I want to forget but I can't forget about her! She was my first real love. What did I do wrong?" he cried into me desperately. I continued holding him, muttering assurances until I heard his steady and deep breaths. He's asleep. 

Oh Liam what am I going to do with you mate?

I lie him on my bed slowly before heading out the door. I need some comfort food! I savaged around the kitchen until I spotted a tub of ice cream. It'll do, I nodded to myself and got out my big spoon. 

Three hours later of eating my tub of ice cream and doing a twitcam at 3 a.m. I knew that most of the fans are asleep but I have to do something to keep me busy! Well they won't be missing out much anyway, I'm just eating ice cream and singing like a mad man. Actually that might be hilarious to watch. 

I finally crashed on the couch and sinked into a dreamless sleep, hoping that Liam will be fine.

***

"Danielle, hi," I said lamely at her door. When I woke up, I decided to go to Danielle's place and confront her about it once and for all. I needed to know and talk to her face to face. She can't just break up with Liam and leave him broken with that kind of reason! 

"Niall love. What brings you here?" she asked sadly. Her right hand gripped her left forearm as she stood there, staring at me. 

"I need to know," I finally said. "Please."

She bit her bottom lip before nodding her head and letting me into her flat. She gestured for me to sit on the couch. "Tea?"

"No thanks." I shook my head. I waited for her to sit down before leaning forward. She gave a deep sigh and pinched the bridge of her nose.

"I love him Niall. I love him so much but I thought it was time for us to move on and explore life. We're young. He's young and One Direction is already taking over the world. I want him to concentrate in what he has now."

"But why now? You've been with us from the very beginning. You know how much we struggled and you were his support. If anyone knows him well, it'll be you. You've dealt with the hate from the fans and the rumours. I just don't understand." I stared down at my hands and gritted my teeth. 

She nodded in defeat. "I know. But maybe I'm done with all that. Maybe I want to focus in my dancing and take it to the next level. I don't know yet but I'm letting Liam live his life first. And I'll live mine." 

"And he's supposed to be fine with that? You're just making that decision without talking to him about it? Haven't you wondered what he would like? Have you even considered his feelings? You didn't even tell him anything!" I threw my arms up, my anger was flaring up now. "You guys could have managed, worked something out --"

But what she said next shocked me. "I know you love him."

My stance faltered. "W-What are you talking about?"

She smiled weakly. "Niall, don't deny it. I've noticed it for some time. I know you love Liam, in a romantic way."

I stared at her blankly, unsure what to say. But then I cleared my throat with a cough. "I think you're mistaken. How could I ever love Liam that way? I'm not gay," I stated plainly. Denying it was the only way I could think of. 

"No matter what you say, I know. Look Niall, I love Liam but I'm not in love with him anymore. You have to understand that I can't control my feelings, just like how you can't choose who you fall in love with. When you get back, tell him I said sorry and I'll call him this evening."

I nodded faintly. My head was in turmoil right now. She knows. Danielle knows about my feelings for my best mate. Is it that obvious?

"Don't worry Niall. I won't tell anyone."

"Thank you." I vaguely remember leaving Danielle's flat when I was back at my place. 

"Niall! Where were you?" Liam ran towards me and hugged me tightly. 

"I-I was at Da- uh Nandos. I was hungry." I laughed nervously while staring into Liam's pretty eyes. 

"Oh well at least answer your mobile. I was worried sick!" I nodded my head and grinned.

"Sure thing mate. Sorry about that." I wiggled out of his embrace and headed towards my room. I don't know why I just didn't tell him that I went to Danielle's house. I don't understand why I couldn't bring myself to tell him what she said.

Maybe its because I didn't want him to slip back into his depressed state. I sighed and closed the door behind me. I'm such a horrible mate. 

***

"Niall?"

I took my headphones off and saw Liam at my doorframe. "Yeah?"

"Danielle called."

I nodded and gulped nervously. He's gonna start shouting at me for not telling him.

"I'm not mad that you didn't tell me. I get it. I haven't been the best company. I knew you were afraid of my reaction." Liam went closer to me. "Thank you Nialler."

He gave me a chaste kiss on my forehead and ruffled my hair.

I don't know what took over me that second. I don't even know why I did it. Maybe it was because I was looking at the Liam I love. He was back and he's smiling from his heart and not just for me to feel good. I knew he was fine now, that it'll be ok. But why did I have to ruin it?

I grabbed the back of his nape and pulled him close, crashing our lips together. 

I just kissed Liam Payne, my best mate that I'm secretly in love with. 

What have I done?

Comment & Vote. :D

If anyone could make me a cover for this story, that would be great! I'm not good at it apparently :/