Chapter 49

When Lauren and Stephanie got to the bottom of the steps in front of Harry's house, they paused to think about what to do next. Before Stephanie put her down, she tilted her head and said, "I think we should walk down the street a little, in case someone other than Sarah or Tip comes out."

Lauren nodded, "Good idea."

They slowly made their way to the corner, Stephanie being careful not to trip over the uneven bricks in the sidewalk. When they reached the end of the street, she crouched to put Lauren down on a set of stone front steps. Taking a seat next to her, Stephanie groaned, strained from carrying Lauren and still sore from the beating she had received earlier, before she was rescued.
Lauren put her hand on her back, soothingly rubbing it up and down.

"We need to call the police," Stephanie said, worried about her sister.

Lauren nodded and reached into her pocket for her cell phone. When she didn't find it, she switched to her other pocket. She wrinkled her forehead. "Shit," she muttered. "My phone must have fallen out when I fell. Shit!" Lauren thought for a second. "That's my grandfather's Mercedes double-parked over there," she pointed to the car. "But he didn't leave it running," she sighed.

Stephanie closed her eyes and leaned her forehead against her hand, trying to think of a solution.

"Do you know if there's a police department in walking distance?" she asked, looking at Lauren.

Lauren shook her head, trying to remember if she'd ever seen a station in the area. "I think the closest one is over near Government Center," she said.

Stephanie sighed, knowing she didn't have the strength to carry her all that way, not in the condition she was in right now.

Sensing her worry, Lauren said, "I can wait here. Just go without me."

Stephanie looked at her intently. "Baby, I'm not letting you leave my sight ever again. I'm not going anywhere without you." She leaned her face close to hers, their noses touching. "I love you," she finished, kissing her lips softly.

Lauren opened her eyes after the kiss and sighed. Her face still close to Stephanie's, she said, "I don't know what else to do. I'm basically an invalid right now." She winced, pointing to her feet.

Stephanie gave her a sympathetic look. "Well, at least we know you didn't break anything. You were able to put pressure on them. You just need time to heal, baby," she said, wrapping her arm around her shoulder.

Lauren leaned her head into the crook of Stephanie's neck and closed her eyes. Though her feet still throbbed, she felt calm in the girl's arms.

"I'm...I'm sorry, Steph," she whispered, her eyes still closed.

Stephanie, confused by the apology, looked down at her. "Why are you sorry? I'm the one who broke up with you...and, believe me, I'm the one that's sorry."

Lauren shook her head and sat up to look at her. She took the girl's hands in hers. "No, babe. This is all my fault," she said as tears began to form in her eyes. She swallowed hard, unable to continue. She felt so guilty.

Stephanie took her in her arms again. "Shhh," she cooed. "Let's not talk about this right now."

They stayed on the steps like this for a few minutes until they both jumped when two police cars and an ambulance wailed around the corner and down the street, stopping in front of Harry's house. They watched in shock as the police officers ran into the house with their guns in their hands. They looked at each other fearfully.

Lauren shouted, "Go!" to Stephanie. "Be careful!" she added, giving her a kiss before the girl leapt off the steps to get closer to the scene.

As she jogged to the house, she prayed that Sarah was okay. She was comforted knowing that they had only heard one gunshot and none after they left the house.