18. The truth

''Thanks for the ride.'' I slammed a fist against the palm of my other hand. ''Back to the boring, I guess.'' I didn't know what the hell I was saying, the words just came rolling out my mouth, totally out of control.

''Don't go to sleep on Monday evening,'' he said flatly.

I frowned.

''Stay awake with your clothes on.'' He shot me a smile. ''They'll prank you.''

''You know what's on the program?'' I folded my arms before my chest.

''I've done this for a couple of years. They only make small changes, but the main activities stay the same,'' he said, shrugging his shoulders. ''I made that up... what's coming next Monday,'' he winked at me.

''Well, it would be good to have some excitement next to the Human Stratego and making dreamcatchers,'' I muttered.

''The program was quite exciting when I was leader,'' Bones said, wiggling his eyebrows.

''So why did you stop?''

His face fell as he stood up. ''Like my Sis said, I'd made a mistake.''

''What kind of mistake?'' I knew I was nosy, but it kept me awake last night and I really wanted to know what happened, besides the fact that I really did not want to go back yet.

He gauged me, pouring his eyes into mine with a deep frown. ''They found me at the lake on top of a sixteen-year old girl, here having only wearing pantries and a bra.'' He lifted the corner of his mouth. ''I was nineteen, you can figure out why I had to leave,'' he said quietly, his eyes glued to the road.

I blinked, taken aback. ''A girl. Of course.'' Suddenly I looked at him from a different point of view, like the bad boy who could not control his emotions. This was serious. ''Did she press charges?'' I didn't know why I'd asked this, but I had to know. If he was convicted for that, I would be in serious trouble when they would see me here with him. He would be too, but I didn't care for that right now.

He shook his head, embarrassment running over his face. ''No, that was my luck.'' He muttered something under his breath that sounded like cursing. ''If only I'd known...'' he slammed his hand on the seat and growled.

''Known what?'' I shook my head. ''Would it really have made a difference?''

''Don't give me that look.'' He furrowed his brows, frowning at me.

''What look?'' I asked as nicely as I could.

''That look that everybody has since it happened.'' His eyes blazed into mine and the emotion behind them was so strong that I was forced to look away. The disgust in his voice was clear.

''You shouldn't have done that,'' I said, which made him clench his jaws. His face fell slightly as my words hit him.

''No.'' There was a strange edge to his voice.

His eyes scanned my face as he stayed silent, waiting for me to go on about it, I assumed. But there was only silence between us. I didn't know what to say or ask anymore. Maybe I did not want to hear more, maybe I expected him to tell me without questioning him.

''Goodbye, hodgepodge,'' he finally said, his voice steady and cold. He swung his leg over the motorbike and sat down. He glanced at me, his face twisted and his eyes lost all softness. ''Have fun.''

*Do you mind if it gets a little bit more serious? I like it when there is a story to tell behind all that romance. Nobody is perfect and we all have our flaws. What if Mr. Perfect isn't so perfect at all. Could you cope with that?*