A New Career

Hawks' hands grip tightly against the newspaper, glancing up to the building in front of him he nods.

"This is the right place. Doesn't look like much though." Hawks trails off, worrying his bottom lip. Has this just been some sort of ploy for human trafficking or something? No, criminals wouldn't be that stupid to pose as some sort of government facility... right? The building before him is only two stories tall and has clearly seen better days. Its alabaster plaster is peeling in some places, revealing maroon brick. Hawks eyes the front door carefully before rereading the job posting again.

Security Officer Needed.

The Federal H.E.R.O. Public Safety Commission Inc. is searching for motivated individuals to fill the role of an Armed Security Officer. In this role, you'll work as a galvanized member of an elite team of security operators protecting some of Japan's most critical- Hawks eyes flicker up from the newspaper and takes in a deep breath. He's already read through the job posting enough to be able to recite it from memory. Without a second's hesitation, he pulls open the door.

A small and plump woman with a shock of dark green hair pulled into a loose bun, sits behind a large desk and greets him with a warm smile.

"Hello, how may I help you?" Hawks rolls up the newspaper and offers her his most charming smile. This part is easy, he has enough charisma to out bullshit even the most seasoned con artist in Japan. Talking to this receptionist will be easier than breathing for Hawks.

"Yes, hello," He looks down to her name tag, "Miss Midoriya, I'm here for the security officer position that was posted in the newspaper." Her eyes brighten and nods.

"Of course, let me gather up some of the required paperwork . Feel free to take a seat anywhere." He shoots her another smile and sits down on a small sofa near a water cooler. The receptionist comes by after a few moments and hands him a large stack of papers and a pen.

"I know it looks like a lot," She smiles sympathetically, "But it's not too bad. Most of it is just security clearance forms." Hawks nods and begins to fill out the forms.

She was lying, he reflects some time later. His left hand is aching from so much writing. Inwardly groaning, he reaches for another form.

It's been an agonizing two weeks and not a peep from the corporation that Hawks applied for. Quickly losing hope, he heads for the door for another day at the temp agency when his phone rings. Hawks scrambles over to it.

"Good morning, is this Mr. Hawks?" A soft and sweet voice asks over the phone and Hawks smiles.

"Hello and yes it is."

"Wonderful, this is Midoriya Inko calling in regards of the application you filled out for our agency." There's a short pause, he can hear the shuffle of papers before she continues, "We would like to schedule an interview with you. What would be a time that works best for you? We have several openings tomorrow in the morning."

"Let me check my calendar." His calendar is void of anything, "I am free all morning tomorrow."

"Perfect. I'll put you down for nine in the morning then. Do you have any questions at this time?" He tells her that he does not and they wish each other a good day, hanging up the phone, Hawks' smile is so wide it hurts his cheeks.

"Good morning, Miss Midoriya!" Hawks waves cheerfully at her and she returns it with a soft giggle, "It's a beautiful day outside. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, flowers are blooming. On days like this, it's almost impossible to be in a bad mood." He chirps. They continue with pleasant small talk until she gets a phone call, instantly snapping into professional mode- she jots down some notes on a piece of paper, nodding occasionally into the phone receiver. Hawks takes that as his cue to sit down, he chooses the chair he sat in when he filled out his application and waits for his interview.