Audrey Rose's Bedroom

I heard a slight knock on my door, and before I could answer, Thomas swiftly made his way into my bedroom. For a second, my heart banged on my chest with the realization that I was wearing nothing more than a pale chiffon and lace nightgown, but the memory of stripping from my skirts in a cave in Romania stilled my concerns a bit. Besides, it was Thomas. There was no reason be timid around him, as I knew he wouldn't be should the situation be reversed.

I placed my journal and teacup on the bedside table as Thomas approached the bed with that devious smirk on his lips, and without any warning, muffled under the blankets by my side.

"Thomas, should anyone come across this..."

"No need to worry, Wadsworth." He interrupted. "Everyone has retired to bed already."

Before I could form a response, his lips were warm over mine, moving ever so soft and gently, casting away any and all of my fears. I cupped his face in my hands, and slowly twisted my fingers on his hair, marvelling at how his smile grew over his lips with each of my movements. He slithered closer, tangling our legs together as one of his hands pulled my skirts up traced my bare thighs. My breath hitched, and there was nothing now that could make my heart slow down.

I found I couldn't wait for all this ceremony to be over, so we could get married already. Father might have allowed Thomas to court me, which did give us more freedom, but that didn't mean having a man on my bed was acceptable. Should anyone find us in such a compromising position... But heavens, I needed him. His warmth over me, his hands on my body, his lips covering every inch of my skin.

I wrapped my arms around his neck while he kissed mine, hoping to close any distance remaining between our bodies. Suddenly, however, he backed away, his eyes lying on the scar on my thigh. Even in the dim candlelight, I could see the sorrow in his expression as he traced the wound with his fingertips.

I sat up and drew his face back to mine.

"It's in the past, Thomas."

"You shouldn't have done it. It's my fa..."

"It's not your fault, my love. Stop taking responsibility for my actions. It was my choice, and my choice alone. If you're to blame for anything is being the irresistible young man I couldn't help falling in love with."

His lips twitched a bit, but an emptiness was back in his eyes a second later, making me wonder if I'd said anything wrong.

"What did you see in me, Wadsworth? Besides being irresistible, that is. I could never understand."

I did not hesitate to answers.

"You are the most loving, caring, and selfless man I've ever met. I love how your medical researches are focused on cures, not for your own merit, but for the greater good. I love that you're always so supportive of me, and that you make me feel safe and loved while giving me space and freedom I wish. You've matured so much since we first met, and I cannot help admiring you."

He allowed a few seconds to pass, gauging my expression. I gazed his dark eyes, hoping he would see everything I could not put in words. He took in every inch of my face while fiddling with the lace of my gown. A smiled slowly crept on his lips, and he kissed me again, steady and sure. Much too soon, he parted again and laid beside me, pulling me with him.

"Ask me why I love you."

I smiled, cheeks flushing with amusement.

"Why do you love me, Mr. Cresswell?"

"You are so passionate, incredibly intelligent, determined, logical... And the strongest woman I know. Yet you're tender, warm, sweet like a dough. You know what you're capable of and is unafraid to pursue your rights and put forward your convictions. I love how you make lesser men shiver under your presence. I'm so very proud of you." He kissed my cheek quickly. "Not to mention, you look like you were carved by angels. Goes really well with my heavenly features."

I laughed. Every word warmed my core like the sun breaking out on a cloudy day. I knew what Thomas's feelings toward me were, yet hearing it so openly, so honestly, make me feel a happiness I had never felt before. If he asked me to elope at this very moment, I wouldn't think twice. More than ever, I wanted the world to know how much I loved him – even though rumours had been spreading for a while now.

Thomas kissed me lazily for what seemed like a second and a century at the same time, as I slowly fell asleep on his embrace.

"Sweet dreams, my love." He said, getting up and turning off the lamp.

Dreading the absence of his warmth, I reached out and caught his robe.

"Stay." I muttered. "Mrs. Harvey only wakes me up at 7 o'clock."

Taking my hand, he surrendered and returned to my side. I sighed happily, nestling my face on his neck and giving it one last good-night kiss.

"Sweet dreams, my love."