You are my stick

My attention was torn from the newspaper when Thomas entered the room with a mahogany wooden box on his arms, and placed it on the table on the corner of the room, near the window. I noticed as he moved aside that it was an Edison Phonograph, with a shiny golden horn pointing up. Thomas had a cheeky smile on his face as he waited for my response.

I smiled, though I was confused on how, where and why he found it necessary to have a phonograph in our temporary house.

"I've been thinking..." He answered the question before I even asked. "Since it seems we're going to be here for a while, we might as well have some fun."

He adjusted the horn to the cylinder rolling on the base, causing a scratching noise to sound. A few seconds later the music started, though the melody wasn't too clear. I seemed like a waltz on the piano, though some notes got lost under the noise.

I left the newspaper aside and, grabbing the rose cane resting beside the chair, made an effort to stand. I approached the machine with curiosity, noting the cylinder responsible for the music was made of wax. The end of the horn accompanied the length of the cylinder as it rolled, the motion in sync with the tempo of the music.

"It was quite a purchase, wouldn't you agree?" Thomas asked eagerly.

I smiled at his enthusiasm, though I couldn't agree with his statement.

"While this is truly an amazing invention, the sound is atrocious, Thomas. I can barely hear the melody line above all this scratching."

"Oh, be positive, Wadsworth. Now we have something fun to with our time when no one is around."

He grabbed me be my waist and held my free hand high.

"Thomas, I can't dance with a stick."

"I am your stick."

I leaned on my good leg as he took the cane from me and placed it aside, quickly returning to the waltz position. He started humming along to the music while he hesitantly led me through the dance, as if testing my reaction. My leg stung every time I had to lean on it for balance, but the pain was suddenly blurred by the memories of our Christmas in Romania. The candlelight, the laughing, the snow. The atmosphere that made the whole night seem like a dream. Even after the horror we had been through, everything in life seemed simple that night. Happy. I'd give anything to relive that night once more.

I looked up at Thomas and smile, an attempt to soothe the cautious expression on his handsome features. We may not be able to revive last Christmas Eve, but while he was by my side, I knew everything would be alright once more at the end.

"See, you still can dance" he said softly, his breath tickling my ear as we moved together.

"Like an ungainly sloth."

"Charming as ever. Turn."

He raised my hand and I struggled to turn in a beautiful manner, only to be betrayed by my injured leg. Thomas was able to hold me before I hit the ground, and helped me up with amazing facility, as if he was holding a pillow of feathers.

"I'm so sorry, Audrey Rose."

Despite the pain, I laughed it off. He assisted me to the ottoman nearby and kneeled by my side.

"I'm quite alright."

"Is your leg hurting?"

I shook my head to say yes.

"I'm sorry..."

"I am alright." I squeezed his hand on mine, then brought it to my lips, placing a long, loving kiss to it. "Creswell?"

"Yes?" His eyes were sparkling as a child who had just won a brand-new toy.

"I love you."