The Doll with The Black Eyes

In a abandoned town on the hillside a doll with black eyes sat against a tree. The sky was dim. The town below the hill was devastated. The buildings all appeared to be crumbling their foundation showed were layers of paint and plaster should have been. Roads were scattered with rusted broken cars. Some of the damage was clear, cars were missing the front or back part of them and others were not so clear to see what hindered them from operating. The roads were littered with cracks and light post that stood along them were bent or the lights were cracked. The doll had long black braided hair that was in two separated braids. Its face and hands were a solid and flat, flat white. It had large round glass eyes, that held such a depth in them, most would think they were mines. The doll had soft light, pink, painted lips and soft blushed cheeks. The clothing was a dark brown plaid dress. Its dress went down to its white knees. It wore small red and white sneakers, and white laced socks.

A young girl, the age of nine looked over the side of the hill. She had come from the other side of the hill where the land looked healthy. She spotted the doll sitting under the tree and hurried over to it excitedly. The girl's long, blonde , curly hair bounced in her energized steps. The girl knelt down and looked over the doll, being able to see it better at this distance. Her gaze stopped at its dark eyes. The girl froze. She stared back into their endless depths. She quickly grabbed the doll and scampered off.

Lorabelle walked into her family's kitchen holding the doll. Her mother stood over the blue stove working the fraying pan. "Oh, you're back already? Did you have fun?" Her mother asked with her back to her. Lorabelle twirled the doll. "Yeah," Lorabelle hopped by disappearing behind the kitchen counter. She went to her room and sat the doll on her bed. Lorabelle smiled at the doll and poked its cheek. She watched it for a moment to see if it would react. The girl turned around and left back out of her bedroom door. Her footsteps sounded on the wooden floors as she headed back to the kitchen. The doll sat as the girl had left it. The light from the bedroom window shone into its black eyes like it would shine off a person's.

Later at school Lorabelle was grabbing her things from her locker. Jerry approached her. He was a boy about her age. He always wore weird clothing. Like fuzzy pants or bright shirts. He stood behind her and waited for her to look over at him. Lorabelle moved to leave and noticed him. "I saw you go up hill, I don't think anyone's gone that far. What was it like?" Jerry got a nervous look after asking her. "Well, I found this really pretty doll..." Lorabelle mumbled trying to walk past him, but he was in the doorway. She thought he might be blocking her. "Jerry!" Lorabella exclaimed angry.

Jerry was hunched over. He seemed to be facing away from her. He was trying to get breath. He fell on his knees holding his throat. Lorabelle now became aware of what was happening she ran down to the nurse's office. "Jerry can't breath! Jerry can't breath!" A nurse hurried out of room and put an arm around the boy. "Go home," The nurse ordered Lorabelle. Lorabelle stumbled back. She felt terrified. Lorabelle hurried out the school doors. She felt afraid for Jerry. Lorabelle pulled out her phone and called her Mom while running home.

The sky was overcast and small water drops started falling down on her. "Mom, I'm scared." Lorabelle cried into the phone.

"What's the matter? Are you okay?" Her mother's voice came out of the phone. Lorabelle clutched the phone. The rain started coming doing. She ran faster her shoes getting soaked through as she splashed through the developing puddles. "I'm okay, but a boy. I think he's dying at school."

"Where are you at?" Her mother asked worriedly. "Nothing happened at school... I don't know what happened." Lorabelle cried into the phone continuing. Her mother could hear her splashing through the puddles. "I'm picking you up, Lora. Where are you at?"

"By the coffee shop."

"Okay go inside, I'll be there in five minutes."

Her mother was back at the house. She went to her daughter's room and looked around before grabbing her daughter's coat off the bed. She noticed the doll. She wasn't familiar with it, since she hadn't bought it for her. The mother looked at it thinking it was pretty before hurrying out of the house to her car. Miss Gardner got into her dark green sedan. She flicked the wipers on and pulled out of the driveway. The storm had gotten heavier. It was hard to see. The streetlights had turned on because of how dark it was outside. A dripping wet umbrella sat on the floor against the passenger seat.

She turned the wipers up higher. They sped across her windshield. Miss Gardner exhaled in worry. She stopped at a red light. Her car was suddenly flipped to the side. It landed on the sidewalk alongside the road. A truck went speeding through the lane she had been. It went through the red light and crashed into the cars crossing the intersection. The truck had completely flattened the first car it hit. Miss Gardner covered her eyes. She opened her car door and climbed up out of the car. When she got out she saw her car had no dents or scratch marks.

It was almost like it was placed here just before that truck could have flattened her. Miss Gardner called the police and paramedics. She looked at her flipped car. After a few minutes the paramedics and the police arrived. She didn't want to call her daughter knowing full well she'd worry. She talked with an officer and told him what happened with her car and what she had seen. "You're very lucky, if you had been in that lane you would have been dead." The officer told her. She after telling the officer all the details asked him if her could drive her to the coffee shop. She explained how she was supposed to pick up her daughter and couldn't with her car flipped.

Lorabelle wandered around the modern coffee shop. It had brown, smooth, cabinets and vanilla cream painted walls. She went and sat at a table. She slouched down. She felt like it seemed a long time for her mom to show up. The coffee shop door opened. Her mother crossed the tables to her. "Lora, what's wrong." Her mother took the seat across from her. "I was talking to Jerry and he started acting weird. And then he couldn't breath!" Lorabelle exclaimed. "I got the nurse, but she told me to go home... He was dying... what if he's dead?!" Lorabelle cried out loudly. "Lora, some people have health issues, He might have asthma."

"He doesn't have asthma." Lorabelle explained. Her mother could tell from her daughter's eyes they had seen something nasty. Miss Gardner knew she might have been right. She might have seen death. The mother fidgeted before bringing up the next topic. "My car got flipped, so we have to take a taxi. It should be here soon."