TWENTY-FIVE

Summer's been avoiding me for five days and I'm not entirely sure why

Summer's been avoiding me for five days and I'm not entirely sure why. At the party, she never came down to see me and at lunch she hasn't been around. Any texts or calls I've sent have been met by a brick wall and I'm officially worried.

I finally track her down outside of her classroom and manage to pull her down the hall, away from everyone else who's rushing to their next class. She looks at me and her face falls which feels like a punch to the gut. Did I do something to her?

"Hey, what's going on?" I ask cautiously, seeing anger taking over and disgust shortly after as she yanks her arm back. "Summer I don't know-"

"Why didn't you tell me?"

Oh god. That is such a loaded question. Tell her what exactly? Because the worst part is there's a whole list coming to mind about what I haven't told her. I push away the guilt to focus on the situation at hand.

"Tell you about what?"

"That you lost your virginity at a party," I blink multiple times and shake my head slowly. Summer scoffs, retrieving her phone from her pocket and turning it around with a soundless video of me making out with a faceless stranger. "Who's the guy?"

I wait to see a glimpse of Sam's face, but it's been blurred out and soon we're stumbling into a bedroom. Who took that video? I feel my mouth go dry and I shake my head, wanting to delete the video but know there's someone who is aware of who I was with.

"Who sent you that?" I ask softly.

"Someone who also told me you have been hooking up with this person for the last six months," She bites the inside of her cheek. "We were meant to be best friends and I thought you would tell me about something like this."

I frantically try to find the words, but nothing comes to mind, "I don't . . . I couldn't . . . it was meant to be a secret."

"Then you start dating Vincent who you swore was just a friend-"

"Tell me who sent the video," I cut off, feeling rage bubbling up to its apex. She turns the phone back around with lips pursed. "I need to know."

"Well I also wanted to know all your secrets, but I guess you don't always get what you want." Summer pivots, leaving me behind with nausea and a blender full of emotions I can't process.

My head spins, seeing blank faces who stare and watch my breakdown. I want to scream, kick, punch but the only reaction I can muster is the one I hate the most. Breathing quickly, I can no longer make out identifying features but vague shapes of people.