THIRTY TWO

"I don't see why the rest of us mere mortals have to suffer through this," Nina grumbles, pulling her jacket closed to combat the cold pool arena

"I don't see why the rest of us mere mortals have to suffer through this," Nina grumbles, pulling her jacket closed to combat the cold pool arena. Today's a miserably freezing day, overcast yet no sign of rain according to the forecast. "I could be in music right now."

"What do you have second period?"

"Math."

"Would you want to do math instead?"

She pouts slightly, "No."

"Then I think you'll be fine," I nudge her should with mine, having to pull my jackets sleeve down but it doesn't seem to be do anything. "What isn't fine is how cold it is in here. I knew I should've brought a hoodie instead."

"Yeah denim jackets are exactly the warmest . . . I know someone who always has a hoodie . . ."

I give her a pointed look with a warning that has flashing neon lights. "I'm not doing that. I'll be fine eventually."

"Why do you two look like penguins?" Vincent asks, trying not to laugh as he sits on the other side of Nina. "A bit cold?"

"A little," Nina grabs his jacket and slides across, unabashedly throwing her legs over his lap to nuzzle closer. I blink multiple times and see Vincent gaping in shock. "Thanks."

"You're welcome?" He looks to me for help and I shake my head with a small smile.

"Callie, can I get your help?" I look down at the bottom of the grandstand, seeing Carley holding her back under her shirt. "The straps come lose and I need someone to tie it up for me."

I stand up, making my way down and following her to the lockeroom. She asked me about what swimwear to wear today and I advised her against anything over the top. The strappy back on her bikini top is intricate and gorgeous but there was always a risk of a strap coming lose.

"Are you nervous?" I ask, keeping up with her quick paces down the hall.

"A little. I just hope I don't belly flop when I dive in," I chuckle along with her, stalling for a moment when she moves into a girls bathroom. "I couldn't stand to be around April so I was getting changed in here."

I frown and follow her in. "She isn't giving you any trouble is she?"

"Rumours are spreading that she's selling so she's being a lot more snappier and rude."

Carley pulls off her shirt and I immediately spot the fault in the ties. I loop it through and connect it through the small hole in the fabric. Stepping back I give a tight lipped smile in the mirror and pull my jacket across.

"I don't know how you aren't freezing in that."

"I barely feel the cold which is brilliant," she chuckles and pivots in the mirror, double checking the straps before pulling her shirt back on. This time when she looks at me her smile has faded to a slightly pained look. "There's another reason I asked you to fix it in private . . . I wanted to know how you were feeling and dealing with what happened."