14

I stared at the shelf, worrying my lip between my teeth. The three bottles shone in the soft light streaming in from the boarded up window.

One drink and I wouldn't be a Novae anymore.

One drink and I could be with Jimin without him being severely hurt.

Too many and I could...

I shivered and looked away from the elixirs, rubbing my arms as I walked around the attic. There were pictures of Jungkook and me and a few other Novae in dusty boxes, old rickety furniture under yellow sheets that must've been white before.

I was up here to check on the elixirs. We couldn't destroy them, they were an acid unless digested. So someone had to watch them.

And being the heir, I had to learn how to watch fucking bottles.

Yes, they were important and valuable, but they were bottles.

Lock them in a safe if you're that worried. Don't keep them exposed on a shelf in the middle of a room. That's practically making them scream "steal me."

I sighed and went back down the stairs after walking around once more.

"Have a nice day with Jimin yesterday?" I heard, making me stiffen.

Slowly, I turned to see Jungkook leaning against the wall.

"I wasn't with Jimin yesterday. I cut ties with him," I replied.

"You could get hurt if you stay with him."

"I'm not with him," I said, clenching my fists.

"I presented," he added rather boredly.

"So?"

"I'm a shade." I froze on the spot, staring at him with wide eyes. "Father told me to do my job if someone sees you with him again."

"I—I am your brother."

"That's why he told me to do it."

"What would Taehyung say if he found out you were threatening his friend?" I tried, pulling the best friend card.

"And how do you know Taehyung is friends with Jimin? You left when Jimin was in middle school. Not high school."

"Taehyung told me."

"When he offered you and elixir he stole so you could be with Jimin?"

"I haven't seen Taehyung since you have."

"Then who told you Taehyung knew Jimin?"

I mentally panicked, seeing the trap Jungkook laid out.

"Hoseok."

"Who is friends with Jimin's roommates. And is a traitor like Jimin's roommate and Taehyung."

"Jungkook..." I frowned. "What happened to you?"

"I fucking grew up," he snapped, standing straight and getting off the wall. "Shades see things differently from your type of Novae. But you're still my brother and I want you to stay safe. So leave Jimin."

"Kook—"

"Don't say things like you love him or I will barf before killing him like dad told me to do."

"What about your human you were assigned to?"

"How do you think I know I presented?"