chapter 2

oklahoma, 1969

oklahoma, 1969

-the dead man walking-

The band had finished up and the boy watched as they walked off of the stage, making way for the next band. The girls were stopped by people and the boy could overhear some things people said to them.

"You guys are great!"

"I can't believe you don't have a record label yet!"

"You'll be famous in no time!"

The girls returned the compliments with polite smiles, shaking people's hands and engaging in pleasantries. It seemed as if this had become routine for the band.

They finally managed to make it through the crowd and they sat down at the bar near the boy.

"Hey, mind hooking us up with a drink?" The drummer, Martha asked with a sly smile on her face. Joan clapped her hand down on her shoulder approvingly.

The bartender simply rolled his eyes. He must've been in his late twenties.

"You know better than that Ms. Howard." He shook his head disapprovingly but a smile spread across his face.

"Oh come on, it's us! We've known you for years, would one beer hurt?" Joan's voice sounded persuasive. A charming smile was on her features.

"Fine. Just don't drink too much, alright? Don't want one of you to get your stomach pumped or die of alcohol poisoning."

"I think it'll be a little harder to kill us." Martha held her hand out as the bartender slid her a beer. He handed the girls their beers one by one and they clinked their bottles together, all taking sips.

From what the boy had noticed, Lucy seemed to be the reasonable one. Martha was a bit on the wild side, she seemed like she was invincible. Eleanor seemed very quiet, but there was probably more to her than meets the eye. Joan had been witty and persuasive. It seemed like she knew how to talk people into things.

"I'd say we did pretty damn good up there, huh?" Joan nudged Martha with her elbow and Martha laughed.

"Hell yeah we did!" Martha clapped her hands together.

"You ladies were great up there! Where are we going?" Lucy chanted.

"To the top!" The girls shouted.

While all the other girls were drinking and laughing, the boy noticed that Joan had looked in his direction.

She casually stood up and slid onto the stool next to him.

"Hey, you were that kid that looked depressed." She said immediately. The boy chuckled weakly.

"It's that obvious, huh?" His finger traced the rim of his beer bottle and she shrugged.