chapter 5

oklahoma, 1969

oklahoma, 1969

-the hippie-

Joan took a drag of her cigarette. Ponyboy was seated next to her on her bed, also smoking a cigarette.

"So you're just allowed to smoke in your room?" He stumbled over his words slightly because of how drunk he was.

"Yep. My dad doesn't care. Besides, he's not around much and when he is he's asleep downstairs."

Ponyboy nodded and put his cigarette out. Joan took one final drag from her cigarette and smashed it against the ashtray.

"You're kinda weird." Ponyboy giggled to himself. Joan laughed.

"You're drunk."

"So are you!" He pointed out. She shrugged.

"Could I kiss you again?" He was smiling and Joan felt her heart flutter.

"Go for it."

Ponyboy smashed his lips against Joan's and she could've melted on the spot. She didn't focus on boys as much since her main priority was the band, but she had to admit that this was nice.

"I like you." Ponyboy mumbled against her lips.

"That's flattering." She pulled him closer and he followed.

"Do... Do you like me?" Ponyboy ceased his kisses for a second to await an answer.

"Yes, Ponyboy." She assured him. His eyes widened as he smiled in a surprised manner.

"Really?"

"I said it, didn't I?"

Their lips locked again as she straddled him. Her hands slowly slid under his shirt as a needy moan escaped his mouth.

The rest was a blur.

-

"Jesus Christ..." Joan's head was pounding as the blinding morning light entered her room. 

She tried to remember the events of last night, but she could only recall small parts of the previous evening. She had played with her band at the bar and talked with Ponyboy... What else happened?

Her thoughts were interrupted by someone stirring in bed next to her. Joan felt her heart drop as she slowly turned to see who was next to her. 

She was met with the face of a handsome, sleeping boy. His lips were slightly parted and his breathing was slow. The rays of sun hit his face and made his hair glow in the light. Even though Joan hadn't known the boy in front of her long, she could recognize him anywhere. 

Ponyboy. 

The boy rolled onto his back and squinted his eyes, his back arching as he stretched. A sleepy groan escaped him and he opened his eyes partly. 

It seemed as if Ponyboy realized that he wasn't in a familiar room, for his eyes widened and he shot up in bed, looking around.

"Where am I?" 

"My room." Joan finally made it clear that she was present and awake. 

Ponyboy looked down at the girl next to him in a daze. His eyes searched hers for a moment before he awkwardly cleared his throat, his glance dropping in embarrassment.

"Did we..." He trailed off and Joan chuckled.

"No. We didn't do anything."

"The hickeys on your neck say otherwise."

Joan's hand instinctively flew up to her neck. She let her fingers graze over her skin.

"Well, we did that, but we didn't get as far as you think we did." Joan hinted. Ponyboy furrowed his eyebrows, still not following her words.

"What-"

"We didn't have sex, okay?"

"O-oh, good to know." Ponyboy was a bit taken aback by her words, but slowly nodded as he processed the information.

"I should probably head out." Ponyboy rubbed the back of his neck, sitting up further. The blanket slipped down his body revealing his shirtless torso.

Joan couldn't help it when her eyes wandered down to his toned stomach. Her face flushed and she looked back up at Ponyboy's face. He couldn't help but smirk a bit.

"Everything alright?" He asked as if he didn't notice that she was just practically drooling over him.

"Great."

-

Ponyboy had eventually left and Joan was left in a giddy mood. She picked up her guitar, deciding to use her energy to try and maybe write something.

As she strummed her guitar memories of last night flooded her head. Her playing would falter for a moment as the recollection would hit her.

"So what's up with you, huh?" Joan asked the boy. Ponyboy was sprawled out across the bed, smoking.

He took a long drag from his cigarette and turned to Joan, blowing the smoke into her face. She smirked.

"What's that supposed to mean?" He propped himself up. She shrugged.

"You seem complicated. Like there's a lot going on in that head of yours."

"I could say the same about you." He leaned in as he spoke and it was now his turn to smirk.

Joan rolled her eyes. Ponyboy's nose brushed against hers and she giggled.

"I asked first." She breathed. Ponyboy's breath ghosted over her lips and chills ran through her whole body.

She could hardly focus because of the boy she had spent the night with. She had dealt with simple flings before and had never given it a second thought. Why was she thinking about it now?

Joan sighed. It was gonna be a long day.