chapter {9}

In a few words, I utterly hated that building.

So close, yet so far we came to achieving our one last goal that the more we fought for it the more it seemed everything indeed stood in our way and kept adding up until it would all explode to one leading outcome— failure.

With racing thoughts playing over and over in my mind, horrible outcomes I've imagined so far multiplying to the point their plagued my brain, I desperately followed after Thomas, Newt and Teresa, deliberately trying not to look suspicious in any way as I walked briskly besides Thomas, daring not to look anywhere else but straight forward onto the beige colored stairways and glass windows of the compound.

"Keep moving." Thomas ordered, agitated and focused, lightly pushing Teresa toward an elevator near the end of that plain hallway as Newt and I looked at each other through the shields our helmets were, our eyes meeting even though the thick material.

At last, we neared a gray elevator Thomas immediately pressing the button on the right, muttering. "Come on, come on." He repeated anxiously, multiple times pressing over the button which not only increased the suspicion but confirmed we were exactly the people half of that building was searching for.

Finally, I heaved a long sigh of relief through my helmet at the door opening, stepping through as I occupied s spot near Thomas in the back, still agitatedly breathing which ceased to less scared in matter of seconds, seeing as the door stared closing

"Hold it." A voice I immediately recognised ordered, all my hopes then dropped as a hand stoped the gray, heavy elevator door and entered the cramped room with us— Janson, so certainly walking in as he had managed to see right through us. Of course, I would not fool anyone, he had managed to see trough us, seeing as that guard to me the scanner picked Thomas up.  

My breath hitched, the hold over the holster dangling on my leg increasing and eyes boring into the back of Janson's head intensly, my entire being freezing on spot no matter that he had his back turned to me, I could still feel a few tingles of cold sweat dripping down my forehead slowly.

Janson looked over at Teresa, uncomfortably the girl stood by his side. "You're working late? That's what I like about you, Teresa. No matter how bleak things get you just...well you never give up. Time's like this, you need a friend you can count on." The man spoke.

"I'll have that in mind." Teresa answered him curtly and shortly, not showing a tiny bit of emotion in her voice.

"There is one thing you should know. One friend to another. Thomas is here. The surveillance picked him up outside the walls, Ava didn't want you to know but there is a chance he may try contact you and if he does...well, I'd like to think I'll be your first call." Janson continued carelessly, as then everything clicked in my mind— the guard I was trying to fool surely must've already known the surveillance had picked Thomas up.

Teresa seemed to think, then started speaking again. "Are you gonna kill him?"

A lump formed in my throat at her question, and even a worse one at the anticipation of what his answer might be as I felt my hands shake on the holster and sight blurry over by a bit so on longer did I see the darkened sight of an elevator that piece of metal only made that way, but a cocoon of shifting colours, a lightheaded feeling swimming in my head— I knew it that moment I was slowly loosing control.

"Would that be a problem?" Janson answered with another question, my eyes snapping shut and breathing increasing to the worse of all; audibility, something I feared the most only so the man would not catch us now, not now that we were so close.

The girl, however being smarter, did not give in to his play. "This is me." She stated, walking out into the hallway of medical wing as after her Newt followed inauspiciously careful not to give away any of our identities after which I followed suit, yet with much difficulties staggering into the hallway, blinding light seeping into the shield of my helmet and making me squint. Not even a moment later Thomas appeared, walking quickly to escape Janson which we all did, door to the elevator closing behind us as we continued on our way— nevertheless how I felt, no other option was there but to breath it all in and continue.