chapter {12}

Sun.

The first shiny ray upon the oceanside after so many dark ones, filled with memories both good and bad- mostly memories of people who couldn't be here with us. The first sliver of hope I let myself have in everything getting back up, of things and our lives continuing with another heavy weight burned in our hearts that yet nevertheless knew turning back, redoing what had been done was not a possibility.

Waves rolled by the sandy shore, crystal yellow of the sand reflecting upon the sun shining contrasted to the blueness of the sea and sky. Cloudless the clear sight of blue heavens remained and not bothered, free the forests of green shielded the shore. That was Safe Heaven- a place far away where the trouble and death would not reach it, where brief smiles braced the remaining survivors, where safety wasn't to be questioned and where the rememberance of the people we lost would never die.

It was a safe place, just like the one Nico pictured months ago.

Smoke wafted above the temporary huts, plants full in grow and green as I slowly trudged the marked paths amongst the settlement, still a war brewing in both my heart and my mind which could not settle, not like I had tried to. Places we've been to, people we lost, sacrifices we made- I bound myself not to forget any of them, not to let the safety they could have had wrap me into a bubble of forgetting, moving on.

Even if I felt safe from WICKED and neverending horrors we had seen, I still didn't fell at ease and taken the circumstances it would be many, many more years until I would finally say the wounds have mended.

As I trudged after Minho silently, not daring a word or having noticed that death hadn't yet fully sunk in, I met the sight of Thomas walking toward us, distraught, lost and above all else devastated as he with tears in his eyes ran up to Minho and enveloped the other boy into a sad, comforting hug.

I lingered in the back, watching in my own distress two boys who had just lost their best friend and reliving the moment that happened to me too, finally accepting the inevitable fact no change could be done at all. I looked up the moment Thomas' gaze had fallen upon me, immediately he slowly walked up to me and before any word was spoken or movement made, brought me closer into a hug, gripping my middle as his shoulders lightly shook.

I gave in, tightly holding onto him as if in an blink of an eye he would too fade just like many of our friends did for us to make it this far. Everybody was more or less safe, alright even thought inner turmoil brewed now stronger than ever- Chris made it, Brenda did too, yet unfortunately Teresa and Devon had both sacrificed for the true grater good.

Thomas and I departed from the group, side by side in silence walking down the sandy shore, for no words were needed, our silence spoke more to us than a single word we had ever shared.

Still the white foam of the sea collected above the shore, sands beneath our feet slippery and blue waves beating along the coastline whenever we went- peace and quiet, that was what we lacked for long months.

Lastly, we stopped by a stone, sat down with waves lapping at our feet and enjoyed the silence before today's new chance at life. I grabbed his hand, interlocked our finger together and staring off into the horizon full of new opportunities and life, let myself smile just barely a half smile I needed.

"It's just like Nico pictured it." I stated, gaze flickering over to Thomas whose surprised one at last melted into understanding. He looked sadly at the ground, unable to answer or form a single word. "I just wish he could be here to see it."

"Let's hope they are all together now." Thomas answered, pulling himself closer to me as his saddened gaze followed a few birds freely above the sea.

Together.

I liked the sound of that. Together.

Forever.

•••
THE END