Chapter 17

Lana's eyes, though masterfully bewitching, seemed to hold a certain unsettling gleam every time she entertained a scheming thought. It was a look that those who knew her recognized all too well, including Richard. Behind a priceless smile and charming persona, she could underhandedly manipulate fate anyway she deemed. It was the reason for why she was glorified as rising sex symbol and icon in Hollywood. It was this look that caused Richard to slightly grimace is when she sauntered into his office after a long and stressful rehearsal.  In the two weeks left, there were only five more rehearsals, including the dress rehearsal and one more instrumental rehearsal. Then they would embark on a flurry performances, but even then the future of the shows was still unknown. If the show was a sensation and ticket sales were successful, the show could run for quite awhile and give Richard the much needed publicity he was rooting for. 

He combed his fingers through his disheveled hair and smiled at Lana wryly as she greeted him with a kiss on his cheek. Sitting down in the seat adjacent to him, she adjusted her skirt and  inspected her fiery red nails.

"Tell me, dear, what have you got up your sleeve today?" Richard sighed knowingly. He had known Lana for quite some time, as she was his protégée during his years at Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, so he was accustomed to her demanding ways. She never came to him out of spontaneity, because she was just too calculated. She was often obsessive and highly persistent when it came to upholding her image. As for their romantic life, they did consider themselves lovers and partners, but had never made it a point to make their relationship public, though everyone knew that they were obviously an item. They knew each other so well, they might as well have been married.

Lana rolled her green eyes and released a guileful laugh. "I don't have anything up my sleeve, Richard, but I do have a request that I need you to grant me" she raised her eyebrows and leaned in closer to him.

"Oh boy..." Richard muttered under his breath, rising from his seat warily, though he figured he shouldn't be surprised at all.

"This girl, Ethel...everyone seems to be quite taken with her" she purred thoughtfully. "She's a doll, she really is...but honestly, I don't think she fits into the vision of this wonderful show that you've put so much work into, Richard" she babbled mindlessly.

Richard stopped abruptly and squinted his eyes at her with bewilderment. "Why do you believe such a thing, Lana?"

"Richard, I have witnessed the insurmountable time you have dedicated to this show." She made a show of gesturing her hands dramatically. "You thoughtfully handpicked every person that is participating in the show....then she just shows up all of the sudden and throws everything off balance" she complained. "Especially this duet you're having us sing...Mary was so much easier to work with than Ethel. I think Ethel sings slightly on the flat side...don't you agree?" Lana surmised absently.

Richard inwardly shook his head at her rhetoric. Anyone with ears would know that Ethel sang far from out of tune...her voice was angelic and powerful, which intimidated Lana. He knew that Lana's complaints stemmed from feelings of deep envy that she would never publicly admit to. "I think perhaps you're over thinking it a trifle too much, Lana. I'm sure you and Ethel will knock it out of the ballpark when the time comes, baby" he encouraged, pecking her on the lips.

"Richard, you've never been a man to take huge risks...why are you taking such a risk with Ethel?" she inquired sharply.

Richard couldn't answer the question. He really didn't know why his was investing his time in a risk that could be detrimental for the success of his show. "So what do you want me to do about it?" He inquired almost defeatedly.

 "Well," she quipped, "with the premier approaching so quickly, I really don't feel that it is a wise idea for us to continue on with the duet." Lana rubbed his back sympathetically and waited for him to agree with her, which he almost always did.