Ch. 14

I didn't trust myself to speak. "What's wrong?" Catherine titled her head. I opened my mouth to speak but it was useless. Nothing came out, and the longer I sat with the stupid look on my face, the more concerned Catherine became. "Georgia? Speak words. Like this," she instructed, cracking herself up as she exaggerated her mouth. "I kissed Anderson." It came out in one calm breath, though I was anything but. "He took me out on a date. We walked his dogs." One statement after another, as if I was reading an algebraic problem off the white board in class. Catherine went from surprise to disbelief to excitement, and finally to a furious expression. She crossed her arms.

"You said you didn't like him."

"Well yeah—"

"And you claimed you didn't 'talk to him'," she curled her fingers into air quotations, and I felt something deeper than shame.

"Catherine—"

"You little liar!" I grabbed both of her hands and shook them. "Catherine! Please hear me out! I don't know what happened. I don't know how I let it happen, or why," I bit my lip. "I thought I didn't like him either, believe me! And I was getting really annoyed with you guys pushing him on me." I sighed. "And then the tables were turned on me. At least that's what it felt like." Catherine must have taken pity on me because the next thing I knew she was hugging me again. "Oh my GOD! I never thought this day would come!" I pulled back from her annoyed. "Thanks Catherine, did you have a talk with my mom or something?" Catherine didn't stay mad for long. "Okay, you have to explain. Everything. From the top." She took Alley and gently placed him on her leg. Darling had curled up into a ball too, and it was just me and one of my best friends. I told her about my car breaking down, and calling him for philosophy help, and even the bit of gossip I'd overheard in Owen's class, but when I got to what happened on Halloween, Catherine interrupted with an outburst of, "Spider-Gwen!"

I nodded slowly, even though I had no clue what she meant. "That was my costume. I went trick-or-treating instead that night. I didn't think going to the party would be the same going solo." I agreed. "Yeah, you didn't miss anything. Heck, I went trick-or-treating too." Catherine adjusted herself on the floor, and I knew her butt was starting to ache because mine was too. "I suggested it and Anderson was down for the adventure..." I trailed off and Catherine gave me a knowing smile. "Okay, yep, continue." I told her about the kiss and the date that followed, and after I was forced to recall how the date went, and how I'd avoided him like a coward afterwards, I fell silent. "Everything sounds like it went great, when's the next date?" I gave her a look.

"There is no next date." Catherine stared at me in disbelief. "What are you talking about?" I leaned back into the end of the couch. "Just like I said. There is no next date. I called it off. I had too." Catherine groaned, putting her head in her hands, before glaring at me. "No, you did not! Call him and tell him it's back on." I explained to her I'd avoided him for a week before growing a pair and talking to him in the art room. "I feel so bad Cat, he's right. He was so right. I should have just told him no instead of dragging him around like a rag doll." Catherine looked at me for the longest time, as if trying to piece together what to say. Finally, she laughed, a humorless one. "You're scared." I scoffed. "I'm not scared Catherine, what are you talking about?" I glared back at her. "Because you like him," Catherine continued. "And you know I'm right because you haven't disagreed with me. You didn't notice it 'cause you're so obvious to your own feelings, but somewhere along the line you started crushing on Anderson. And lucky you hit the damn jackpot. Georgia he is hot! Like take me now hot! And he likes you back," she exclaimed as if I was missing something very important.

"What about Jazzy?" I asked, surprised I had to spell out for her why feelings aside, I was making the right decision. Catherine looked at me strangely.