Trial

The group walked slowly up the mountainside. The tension was thick, thicker than the atmosphere that was as present as the cold upon their skin.

The strain on their legs and the stress that chained their minds seemed to weigh them down more than the sky itself could bear.

Balance itself was amiss, chaos that rained the screams of the harsh wind and the cries of the breeze. Mount Othrys seemed miles away, while in reality, it was as close as a couple of steps.

Percy kept up the back to make sure no one fell out of line, making sure none of them toppled over the edge.

Percy's muscles constricted as he struggled to move his body forward, the force of the wind and the pain of his body creating an alliance against him.

He could only imagine how the demigods, who were truly half mortal, could possibly even stand at this point. They were begrudgingly amazing to put up with these conditions.

Percy growled at himself, he was frustrated that he couldn't use his powers, he refused to reveal himself. The moment in the Garden was a one-time thing, he only hoped Zoë was distracted.

He noticed the swaying of the demigods' steps, how they seemed to walk as if they were drunk. Percy's hand flicked quickly, the shadows rushing slowly toward them.

Once the shadows neared they rested themselves upon the group's body, imperceptible to the eye, yet the shadows gradually did their work, readjusting the group's posture and supporting them through the last couple of steps.

As they made it through the black gate the demigods dropped to their hands and knees. Drenched in sweat, and cold with defeat.

Percy looked around, his senses picked up and the power running through his veins became stronger. Percy looked up to find the moon at its peak.

Percy grinned, "Midnight, when darkness thrives its strongest fury," he whispered to himself. Percy looked back over his shoulder where the mortals were gathering their composure.

"Come, we must waste no time in saving the goddess," he spoke with determination. Zoë nodded, slowing her breaths to a normal pace.

"Yes, I must agree. M'lady must be saved immediately," she spoke, raising herself to her feet. Percy nodded.

Zoë turned to Thalia and Phoebe, who were still catching their breaths. She stretched out both of her hands, "Rise, sisters."

Phoebe and Thalia rose their heads to gaze upon Zoë. Determined and resolved, they rose their hands to meet Zoë's. Zoë pulled them to their feet.

Phoebe glanced at Percy, "How did you not stumble once upon our journey." Percy's eyes flashed, "Maybe I did, I was behind all of you."

Phoebe nodded, "I was only assuming." Percy nodded, "Yes, now we cannot hesitate, we must embark in that direction," he spoke, pointing toward the West side of the fortress.

Questions popped into the girls' heads how he knew but they kept quiet about it. Letting the suspect of possible betrayal flow to the back of the bank of the river in their minds.

Percy casually walked in the direction where he knew the sky was. He had been there when Atlas was put under the punishment. HE had been the one to throw the Titan under the sky.

No doubt the Titan would be petrified if Percy would show just who he really was. Percy had caused him centuries of pain, torment, and punishment. But it had been inevitable the moment Percy chose to side with his siblings.

Fate had decreed it. Fate had always got what it wants. Fate was supreme. The King over all lands. Percy shook his head.

'Not anymore.'