Chapter 4 - Andreas

The next day worked itself the same way the previous had, minus the bombing though they had become something that happened nearly daily, at least that's how it had started to feel.

There was a bomb scare though. Apparently, one was meant to hit Andreas's neighbourhood which had sparked a lot of panic, including from Andreas though he was pretty sure he was allowed to panic when literally everything he'd ever known and grown up with was being threatened.

So that meant Andreas had spent quite a bit of the day packed into the bunker. Luckily quite a lot of people hadn't gone to the bunker as they lived by the sirens and the sirens alone. Andreas was glad his parents didn't live like that. Sure it had been annoying spending so long in the extremely uncomfortable bunker just for it to be a false alarm but he'd rather have that than it actually be a real bomb and not being able to get to the bunker in time.

It hadn't been too bad really he supposed. He could sit down this time and Heide sat in his lap most of the time which gave him pins and needles in his legs. She talked and talked about stuff she'd done at school which helped distract them both while their parents argued in hushed voices nearby as if they didn't think the kids could see them.

Andreas's parents had started to argue more often recently and their tones had started to get more rushed and louder. It scared Andreas, as many things seemed to nowadays.

In fact, his parents fighting was precisely why Andreas had left the house only an hour after the bomb threat had been confirmed as a scare. Heide had gone off to her friend's place and as soon as the arguments had started from the room above Andreas had left.

'Out for fresh air, be back by dinner. Mutig' he'd scrawled out on a loose piece of his father's work paper in messy yet somehow elegant cursive. Handwriting was another thing Andreas's family had treasured. Like that could possibly raise their families financial standards any higher. Even Heide had better handwriting than most adults who were four times her age.

And so that was how Andreas found himself walking down the cobbled lined path, one foot in front of the other.

Andreas wore a white button-up shirt with a grey blazer over top and a loosely fit single-coloured black tie as well. He also had trousers that went up to around his waist, not that you could see that with the blazer over top. Andreas might have felt ridiculous had he not been used to wearing outfits like this on the daily. 'Look like a businessman and one says you might get lucky and someone in the streets will offer you a job.', yes... That was his father's logic. So he'd been wearing blazers and ties since about the age of four.

Finally, Andreas made it to the park which in all honestly couldn't really be called a park. It had one park bench and one tire swing and it looked as if a gardener hadn't even laid eyes on it since the day the large tree in the centre had been planted.

Oh right, the large tree.

Andreas didn't know what kind of tree it was, mainly because he had literally zero forestry expertise. All he knew was that it could hold about six drunk teenagers at once after he'd seen a group climb it on his way home from school. As for now it only needed to hold one, not drunk, teenager.

Andreas settled on the thickest branch closest to the bottom which happened to be the same one the tire swing was attached to. He closed his eyes and let out a soft sigh which he let be carried off by the gentle wind.

It was so calm and peaceful but of course, that didn't last long.

There was the sound of someone's body meeting the ground echoed by a fit of laughter from two different, similar but different, voices.

"I... Win..." said one of them whose sentence was broken by heavy and gaspy breaths.

Andreas opened one eye to see the culprits that had interrupted his nice moment.