Chapter 9 - A river of a tale to tell

© Sandra Corton 2014

Chapter 9 - A river of a tale to tell

"Hello there. Imagine you sitting here having a good time." Isaac teased while tugging on the raft that Kayla was sitting on.

"Don’t you dare tip me off!" Kayla exclaimed as he pulled himself closer to her.

"Now why would I do that?" He asked devilishly.

He had to admit that he was enjoying this day immensely. From the first moment, Kayla had finally ditched the old cardigan and transformed into a girl from sports illustrated, he had been hooked. He couldn’t believe the body she was hiding beneath her frumpy clothes.

He secretly enjoyed the fact that they were more secluded than the normal swimming hole. The last thing he needed was all the other guys finding out about Kayla. He knew he was being selfish but he wasn't giving up Kayla for anybody. 

He teasingly leaned against the rubber side of the raft and Kayla let out a squeak of protest. She sent him a glare with those stunning green eyes of hers, which only encouraged his mischievous actions.

"Isaac!" She gave him a stern warning as he continued tipping the raft closer towards him.

"What I'm not doing anything." He replied innocently.

He deliberately ducked under the water only to appear on the opposite side to where she was looking for him. That small waist beckoned to him as did the smooth freckled skin of her back. He reached out a finger and slid it down her spine.

She leapt away with a squeal that overturned the raft and left her floundering in the water. With a splutter, she appeared back above the water. Her gaze set on one beaming male who was chortling to himself heartily. 

The first splash of water into his face shocked him, forcing him to swallow a mouthful before choking. There was no pause as a torrent of water came his way. As he tried to defend himself, Kayla threw herself at him to knock him back into the water. She dunked his head under the water before he even knew what was going on.

Then as calmly as she could she went back over to her raft and pulled herself back onto it. She sent him a smirk as he resurfaced. He threw back his head and full on laughed.

He astounded her with his carefree attitude and stunning looks. He was crazy handsome as he stood in the shallow water. She forced her eyes away from his tanned and very toned chest for the umpteenth time today. With every move he made, no matter how small he constantly shocked her with his perfection.

"So rule number one, don't take you on in a water fight?" He asked as he swam back over to her raft.

“I had an older brother remember, I’m a pro at dunking him too.” She blew at her fingers and watched him from beneath her lashes.

“You are truly something Kayla McCrae.” He pulled himself up onto the raft being careful not to over balance it. Kayla frowned momentarily and pondered how he had learned her full name.